Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good Roman army book
I am going to purchase a Roman army book from Amazon or any other internet book shop, and I am asking which book you people think is the best. It can be any sought of book from a history to a technical book.<br>
Thank you for your comments in advance. <p></p><i></i>
Obviously availability is an issue here, but what's your budget and what's your level of knowledge? That'll help the others giving a fitting advice. In the meantime, check out the Index of Threads of this forum, the general 'good books' question has been around before. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
Some recommended reading that sould still be available:<br>
<br>
Campbell, B., <em>The Roman army 31 BC-AD 337: a source book</em> (London 1994) 272p. Collection of selected translated sources.<br>
Campbell, B., <em>War and society in imperial Rome</em> (London 2002) 208p. Good general introduction with note references.<br>
Goldsworthy, A., <em>Roman warfare</em> (London 2000) 224p. Good general introduction without note references.<br>
Goldsworthy, A.K., <em>The Roman army at war 100 BC-200AD</em> (Oxford 1996) 311p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
To the ones Sander's listed, I'd add Webster's "The Roman Imperial Army" and Keppie's "The Making of the Roman Army"<br>
<p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
And still available are:<br>
- Yann le Bohec, The Imperial Roman Army<br>
- G.R. Watson, The Roman Soldier <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I'd cast my vote for A. Goldsworthy's "Roman Warfare". It was enjoyable to read (not dry), and was easily absorbed, and most importantly, remembered. Plus the book is well laid out. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I just got Goldsworthy's Roman Warfare for Christmas, its very readable, seems like a good place to start. I believe he's an excellent authority. Got it from Napoleon's Military Bookshop in Melbourne. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Book on Roman Army - Die Armee der Caesaren jho 11 4,883 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Last Post: jho
  Good book on the Sucession Wars Timotheus 10 3,322 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Timotheus
  is this book good or not? vergilius 3 1,850 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Last Post: vergilius