Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
99 Red Balloons... real
History repeats itself, first as song, then almost real. A Swiss couple, celebrating its wedding, released lots of balloons. German radar people did not know that UFO, air force intercepted the balloons. Read it all here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Excellent! I always liked the song. Now that is a great conversation piece at parties. Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Excellent. I always hated that song. But it's a great topic to remind people to ask for a permit. :twisted:

Btw, the police were kind enough to send the cards back. With congratulaions. Nice gesture.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
So Jona, tell us again about the Ktesias scale and (your) reporting... :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:So Jona, tell us again about the Ktesias scale and (your) reporting... :wink:
Hey, hey, hey! This is off-topic! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Excellent! I always liked the song. Now that is a great conversation piece at parties. Big Grin

If you liked the song, you'll love the woman who sang it. With 50, and a grandmother too, she is still a hot look. Confusedhock:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
This reminds me of an incident that occured during Operation Desert Storm. My unit missed the excitement because we were busy at the front, but we heard about it later. Apparently some of the rear-echelon types living in the Khobar Towers complex (the one that was later truck-bombed) were looking for ways to relieve the boredom and managed to cause a little trouble...
Each of the towers has a large flue-like central shaft that supposedly helps cool the building. It can be accessed from a door on the ground level. They went inside and used thin plastic laundry bags and bendy straws to make miniature hot-air balloons. Lighted votive candles were placed in the framework of straws to inflate the balloons. When released, they floated up the shaft and off into the still air of the night sky. Pilots on approach at the nearby airbase began reporting lights floating in the airspace which caused a major panic and led to a full-scale scud alert at all the surrounding bases. From what I heard, Central Commmand was not amused. When we got there after the war, we had a bizarre experience of our own and nearly drowned :wink: on a balcony... I'll save that story for another day :lol:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:If you liked the song, you'll love the woman who sang it.
I didn't like the song, but as far as Nena is concerned: guilty as charged. Although, if I'd have the money, I'd still marry this German lady.
Quote:we had a bizarre experience of our own and nearly drowned :wink: on a balcony... I'll save that story for another day :lol:
Please... don't let us wait.
Jona Lendering
My website
Just because... Big Grin

99 Luft Balloons (in German) 1984
[url:2earlhit]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYQTFudrqc[/url]

99 Luft Balloons (in German and French) 2009
[url:2earlhit]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJp6XuM-f2o&feature=related[/url]

My brother just actually asked me the other day what "Luft" meant when I told him about this thread. He always thought it was just "99 Red Ballons". I explained by describing the German "Luftwaffe" from WW2. I don't speak German so he freaked at my memory of an 80's song that was made a year after I was born tied in with history. That said I think that song played alot in my early years which is why I like it so much... I think. Plus Nena was/is attractive. :wink:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb