Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiny roman altar needs RAT comment
I have here an image of a small (c.80mm high) soapstone altar from Roman Britain found in a museum archive in a box full of antlers. The patera on top is drilled in the middle to a depth of c.15mm and could therefore be used for votive supplications of wine. The rear face is missing and the remaining three are apparently un-inscribed. I have in my head an image of such a thing being used on small family altars, with associated figures of Gods and Goddesses but might find practical use elsewhere??

Has anyone seen anything like this of stone? I have seen bronze examples before but never of very well worked and highly polished stone in this manner.
[Vague references to associated material would be lovely, though I fully invite conjecture, comment, criticism and compliment]
VOTUM SOLVIT LIBENS MERITO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MOGONS
Adam Parker
Ave Fratres,

I have seen several similar small "altars" in the Balkans. They were produced from local stone and had no inscriptions. One had been combined with a small bronze ornament to make a "votive object" that probably wound up in the relic trade. Our friends in Dardania and Thracia seem very adept at that.

I think you are correct in your assessment of small private, personal or family altar

Regards from a cold and rainy Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE