Time for Arthur? - Western Britain without Rome
[size=150:gygxi0bo]Time for Arthur? - Western Britain without Rome[/size]

http://www.oswestry-history.co.uk/old-o ... -2010.html

Saturday 23rd October
10.15 - 4.00 p.m.
The Marches School OSWESTRY
Morda Road
Oswestry SY11 2AR
(On the B5069 south of central Oswestry, Parking Available)

This year's seminar coincides with the 1600th anniversary of the departure of the Romans from our shores and concentrates on the turbulent times which followed. How were the people of the Northern March affected and what evidence is there to help us understand this crucial period in development of our area? We are once again extremely fortunate in our range of speakers and we hope to have a very informative and enjoyable day.

Tickets
Tickets (to include coffee/ tea, biscuits and sandwich lunch with Vegetarian options) are obtainable by completing the booking sheet and returning together with payment of £9.50

Email - [email protected] - Tel: 01691 662602

Our contributors:
Dr Roger White, Academic Director Ironbridge Institute and Senior Lecturer Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity University of Birmingham. Dr White's main research interests lie in the period of transition from the late Roman to the early medieval period, especially in the west of Britain - the late Roman province of Britannia Prima.
Margaret Worthington B.Ed., M. Phil., Independent Archaeologist with a long association with the University of Manchester where her interest in Early Medieval and Landscape History included extensive work on Offa's and Wat's dykes.
Professor Nancy Edwards, Professor of Medieval History, University of Bangor: Professor Edwards has worked extensively on the Early Medieval period in Wales and is currently producing the third volume of her major research study, A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales.
Dr David Mason, now the County Archaeologist for Durham, spent many years investigating Chester's archaeology and was project director of the Heronbridge excavation. He is the author of “Roman Chester: City of the Eagles”
Dr David Stephenson M.A., D.Phil., and Honorary Research Fellow at School of History & Welsh History the University of Bangor is an authority on Welsh Medieval History. He has a particular interest in the northern Welsh March in the 12th and 13th centuries.

Programme
10.15-10.30am - Arrival, Tea/Coffee and Welcome

10.30-11.15am Roger White: 'Sustaining the unsustainable: Wroxeter in the fifth and sixth centuries'

11.15-12.00am Margaret Worthington: Adventus Saxonum the 'Ruin of Britain'?

12.00-1.00pm - Lunch plus displays and/or videos

1.00 -1.45pm Professor Nancy Edwards: 'Kingdom formation and Christianity in north Wales: the evidence of the early inscribed stones'

1.45-2.30pm David Mason: 'the End of an Era: Excavations at Heronbridge and the Battle of Chester'

2.30-3.00pm - Tea/Coffee

3 .00-3.45 pm David Stephenson: 'Better late than never': Arthur in the Welsh imagination in the High Middle Ages.

3.50-4.00pm - Final Discussion
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sounds like fun. Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the pond.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
I know I'm 11 months late with this, but I can't believe I missed this, especially since it was held at my youngest son's school!
May the horse be with you!