Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here quickly. My girlfriend has suggested we should go away to Spain in November for a few days but wants to book it this weekend to get the cheap flights. The three options are Barcelona, Alicante and Malaga. I have been to Barcelona and visited Tarragona and Girona fom there, but have neve been to the other two areas. In the regions of Malaga and Alicante are there any visible traces of Roman walls, particularly those that would have lasted into late antiquity?

I have been through Kulikowski's book on Late Roman Spain but it only makes brief references to archaeological reports on the walls and their potential dating but doesn't say if there is much visible and it doesn't cover all sites (no complaints - that was not the purpose of the book). He says there are traces of Cartagena's walls known but not if they are accessible. I would like to photograph and video any surviving remains at any sites.

So is there anybody on this board who knows about or has visited these areas. I know its short notice but I was only informed last night. Ideally I should try and get Carmen Fernandez Ochoa's and Angel Morillo Cerdan's works before I go (does any body have access to any of these?).

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
I don't know about Alicante but according to Wikipedia, the main sites in Malaga include :
  • Walls (Phoenician, Roman, Visigothic, Arab and Spanish remains of the defensive compounds of the city)
  • Flavian Roman Theater
  • Flavian Roman Amphitheatre (Underneath "Plaza de la Merced" Picasso's birthplace), under the former cinemas "Victoria", "Astoria" and "Andalucia").
    Harbour, one of the most important in Spain.

Maybe you can take photos and post them here ?

Incidentally I have roots from Malaga.

Have a safe trip.

~Theo
Jaime
Alicante: One of the best archaeological Museums in Spain plus the site at Lucentum--Tossal de Manises, a site with well-preserved Carhtaginian-Barcid walls with artillery towers and proteichisma, later rebuilt by Romans. (right in the middle of Alicante). And close by another site, Illeta dels Banyets, a Carthaginian port-of-trade

Check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucentum
http://www.contestania.com/albufereta.htm (and hypelinks to wall, etc.)

http://www.marqalicante.com/index.php?lng=es

Cheers
Many thanks for the replies gents.
I should get booked for somewhere later tonight. I'm leaning towards Alicante at the minute because there are the sites at Lucentum, Santa Pola and Elche within a few miles so with any luck I might get to a one or two of them in the couple of days we are there. If I do I will post any photos on my flickr site.
Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
From Alicante up to Mèrida and from there to Lugo. The best preserved wall. There is nothing like the feeling of standing up to the eagle. Eeiiiire.[attachment=0:1lj3onlv]<!-- ia0 eagle.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1lj3onlv]
Drank from the spring flowing today as it did yesterday
Why waist any time with faces of Eris?
The rebirth of Algea happens not in discussions but in rumble… Turning; revolutions.
I inspire myself in the poems of love; loving perfect kisses… incredible kisses
So I leave you with your progeny: Ignavia, Otia and Silentia.
Manuel.
I'd love to get to Merida but its not practical on a short break - at least not with a significant other who wants a restful holiday rather than hurtling round Sapin. I fully agree about Lugo. Was there back in 1994 and went round the walls and have also been to Astorga and Leon. At least I have them photographed but would love to get some video footage of them as well. Ideally I'd like to do a short video on late antique fortifications. I'm flying from Belfast so flight options are limited but next time I might try Dublin which has a lot more options.

Cheers
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
There are also some nice late Roman wall remains in Barcelona:

[Image: PORTES%20DE%20LA%20MURALLA%20ROMANA.JPG]
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Thanks to all who posted comments. Well tickets are booked for Nov. 21st but to Barcelona rather than Alicante. Hoping to do day trips to Gerona and to Tarragona. I've managed to get copies of some of the aticles I was looking for so hopefully I'll get some photos posted shortly after returning.

Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
roman walls of Lugo
http://www.spanisharts.com/arquitectura ... allas.html
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hi all,
Have just returned from the 17 degree sunshine and warmth, with hardly a cloud in the sky, of Barcelona, to find Northern Ireland is covered in snow with more on the way.
Anyhow while I shiver away at the keyboard as the house heats up, I will start sorting and converting images from Girona and Tarragona and a few new ones from Barcelona. I'll try and post some to my flickr site over the weekend and will post links when done.
Thanks to all who supplied help and info - it was much appreciated.
Stephen McCotter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23242310@N03/

For anyone interested, I've uploaded some photos of Girona, Barcelona and Tarragona from the above trip.
Stephen McCotter
Great Photos!
I can see echos of the great walls of Constantinople in some of the features in the Barcelona walls.
I look forward to spending more time looking at these!
Many thanks!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It sounds like you had a good time, Stephen.
Thanks for posting your photos !

~Jaime
Jaime
Thanks Stephen!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spain still Roman in 494 AD? Barbula 8 1,285 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  roman army fortifications pre-hadrians wall felixgallus 2 1,666 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Late Roman Fortifications in the Netherlands SMC2 15 4,083 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SMC2