Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Barta Roman hilts?
Greeting gentlemen, this is my first post so I hope this is in the right place.

On Patrick Barta's website there is a sword listed as a Roman riding sword, the sword is based on an example found in Nydam bog, Denmark. AFAIK the only examples of this type of hilt are found in Scandinavia, yet Mr. Barta refers to it as 'Roman', so what I would like to know is, is there any evidence that hilts like this one were used by the Romans?

There is another sword on the website from Podlodow, Poland which has a similar hilt. I would also like to know if there is any evidence of hilts like this in use by the Romans?
Yes, there is massive evidence. Check
Miks, Christian: Studien zur römischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit. Bd. 1: Text; Bd. 2: Katalog und Tafeln. Rahden 2007.
and this:
[url:130nyrp3]http://www.illerup.dk/documents/illerup_81.pdf[/url]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hi and thanks for the sources, but unfortunately I don't have access to them, and even if I did I dont speak German, or Danish for that matter. Is there any chance you (or anyone who has the time) could relay the relevant info from these sources on to me. Thanks in advance.
Even if you don't speak german I think Miks is the source to go with and get. It's a kind of catalogue of most sword finds empire wide. So, you can in there easily spot in the drawings and answer your question.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you scroll down on the second article there is an english summary.
Christian K.

Salve

You might also try to get the 'Spoils of Victory' catalogue from the Danish National Museum. There is an earlier thread on this site about this, and the book is available in English.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Thanks guys for replies and for the advice on books, but I'm afraid I will not have the funds to purchass them for some time.

Perhaps I was unclear about what I'm looking for, I'm looking for evidence that the above mentioned hilt types were used by Later Roman legionaries. The swords from places like Illerup Adal and Nydam may be Roman blades which have been re-hilted to suit Germanic tastes. I'm looking for evidence, if there is any, that the Romans also used these hilt types.

The reason I'm looking for this info, is that, I'm trying to trace the development, from late Roman spatha to the swords of the migration period, specifically, I'm trying to find the origin of hilt, with the appearance of a 'capital I' e.g. the example from Nydam bog, made from horn.

So, if anyone could provide me with a picture of an example (archaeological find, sculpture, painting etc.) of one, or both, of the hilt types from Patrick Barta's website, found within the boundaries of the empire, I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.
You could go to a library, just as an idea. :wink:
Christian K.

Ok maybe I should approach this question from a different angle. If you were re-enacting a late Roman soldier (not allied troops) would you think that these swords would be appropriate?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sword from Patrick Barta Redwald 24 5,229 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Björnulf
  New 3th century sword from Patrick Barta! Virilis 11 2,647 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Cheyenne
  Patrick Barta - New Gladius Hispanensis Redwald 1 1,776 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius