Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Horse of Uffington
The Late Bronze / Early Iron Age monument turns out to be... a dog! :roll:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hmmm. It still looks like a horse to me. You never know, though. Our prehistoric chalk-carving ancestors appear to have had eclectic tastes.
[Image: homerbig.jpg]
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:The Late Bronze / Early Iron Age monument turns out to be... a dog! :roll:
It most certainly does not. It's just a 'personal opinion' treated by newspapers as if it were a major discovery. No one knows either the exact date of construction nor the exact animal (IF a real animal) represented. Also, we should take the possibility into account that the figure changed over time (the Cerne Abbas Giant once had a cloak over his left arm).
Personally I see more links with pre-Roman coins from Britain, apparently adorned with horses. So to me it's a horse, and a beautiful one.

Quote:Our prehistoric chalk-carving ancestors appear to have had eclectic tastes.
No doubt, but the right-hand figure was not carved by 'prehistoric chalk-carving ancestors'. The Cerne Abbas Giant (Dorset, UK) is either Roman or even post-Medieval, plus the phallus was 'elongated' even later. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
But that doesn't explain the mysterious figure on the left!

Big Grin
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)
Quote:But that doesn't explain the mysterious figure on the left!

Big Grin

Are you referring to the picture above...or your avatar? LOL! Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Touché :mrgreen:
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)