Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairing ancient statues
I understand that the Italian Prime Minister is under some criticism for repairing a pair of ancient Roman statues.
[Image: _50043073_010673151-1.jpg]
Although I guess I can see the idea of a complete work of art, there is something sublime about a statue showing the rigors of age and time, something conveying decay like Piranesi's images of Roman ruins, or even this little piece:
[Image: 357px-Venus_de_Milo_Louvre_Ma399_n4.jpg]
I think I would prefer un-"repaired" pieces.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Well, there are advantages and disadvantages to both original 'as found' pieces, and 'restored', whole works.

Speaking for myself, I think ideally one should display the original 'as is', with perhaps a 'restored' replica alongside. Failing that, any 'restoration' work should be visibly different from the original.......otherwise, quite misleading ideas can become promulgated. Two that spring to mind are the so-called 'Leonidas' bust ( helmet restored, crest completely unoriginal) and the Louvre 'Praetorians' - much of which is unoriginal, especially the heads......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I understand that the Italian Prime Minister is under some criticism for repairing a pair of ancient Roman statues.
He is, internationally. This was this mornings' comic on nu.nl:
[Image: m1fzrlua24h6.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well first of all the add-ons are REVERSIBLE and second they will be REMOVED once the statues will return to the public musuem. The statues are now temporarily in a government building.

By the way the wall of the gladiator domus that collapsed was an add-on made in the 1950s.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:Well first of all the add-ons are REVERSIBLE and second they will be REMOVED once the statues will return to the public musuem.
I think that's good. But that leaves the question, why were the mising parts added if they will be removed later?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
They were added because Berlusconi asked if it was possibile and the answer was affirmative. Matter of personal tastes. I repeat that the statues are not in a museum but decorate a government palace. Once they return to the museum the add-ons will be removed.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:any 'restoration' work should be visibly different from the original.
We frequently see that done on pottery restorations.

Robert, what's an English translation of the political cartoon?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I was curious about everyone's personal tastes. Do you like them repaired or as they were found?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
As they were found. But still the bast way is to have a 'repaired' copy next to it Big Grin

I don't think the comparison with houses in Pompeii is totally fair (althoug it can be in this case!) as I certainly wouldn't mind if parts are added to inprove stability, as is the case with much restored vessels, buildings, etc (although sometimes done badly).

The parts added here are purely for visual effects and have nothing to do with improving the possibilities that further generations can see the object, like the restaurations in Pompeii do.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Historically, I think they should be shown as they now exist. But artistically, I often wonder about the missing parts: arm positions, heads, feet and facial expressions can add a great deal to the meaning of a sculpture.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Robert, what's an English translation of the political cartoon?
Oh, nothing odd:
"Berlusconi orders missing body parts to be stuck on historical statues".
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I was curious about everyone's personal tastes. Do you like them repaired or as they were found?

As they were found, but at least stabilize the decomposition and keep them in a controlled environment (temperature, no kids climbing on them, etc) where they can also be monitored over time in case decomposition resumes.

Cheers,
Adam C.
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
The pendulum between "as they were originally"(minus the paint, of course. white marble is what it is all about Wink ) and "as they were found" goes back and forth now and then; it depends on country as well. Excepting some older restorations that were...invasive...cosmetic change is usually reversible.

What baffles me is how the hell they managed to spend over 73,000 euros on it. There must have been some major destabilization issues for that figure to make any sense if the restoration itself was the main cost...but the statues are kept indoors. Does not compute.
Not hard to figure. I suggest this as a list of the possible cost distribution:

The freight company who made the shipping containers and delivered the sculpture 2000
The artist who made the "replacement parts" 8000
The committee who decided who to select for the above, and what should be done 25000
The government bureaucrats who supervised and meddled in the project 40000

Pot's right, deal the cards. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.