Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phoenician ship sails around Africa
I've mentioned this on the Roman ship thread, but this is the best place for it, no doubt.
After 2 years of sailing (on and off), a reconstructed Phoenician ship has circumnavigated Africa for the first time since 600 BC. Way cool! 8)
http://www.phoenicia.org.uk
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Wow. Indeed, way cool!
http://live.adventuretracking.com/phoenicia They completed the journey and now we first hear about it?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Next trip, Gibraltar to Newfoundland! Or Brazil?
Just kidding. As mentioned in the other thread, this trip was probably no easy task, especially with a square-rigged sail. Good weather would be a help. High seas and unfavorable wind might make the crew start looking for the sleeping Jonah in the hold, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:They completed the journey and now we first hear about it?

I've known about it for a few months, but forgot to post about it before now :oops:
However, it is odd that nobody else picked up on this before now. They didn't do enough publicity methinks...
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Did you seee how close they got to the Americas??? Confusedhock:

This claim is a bit weird though:
"Phoenicia successfully recreated the first circumnavigation of Africa, accomplished by Phoenician mariners in circa 600BC".
Re-created? Since there was no Suez canal in 600BC, how exactly would those Phoenician mariners have circumnavigated Africa back then? :oops:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I've been following this trip over the past few months. The circumnavigation is an old point of interest of mine; this is one of my oldest web pages. However, I felt increasingly disappointed. That they decided to sail way east of the Somalian coast was something I could understand: there are pirates over there. But they never followed the coasts, as they ought to have done if they wanted to investigate the ancient expedition. They consistently sailed over the great Ocean. I understand that they were avoiding the counter currents, but have they proved? Only that an expedition like this was possible (which we already knew); we have learned exactly nothing about the troubles the Phoenicians experienced.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Did you seee how close they got to the Americas??? Confusedhock:
Since there was no Suez canal in 600BC, how exactly would those Phoenician mariners have circumnavigated Africa back then? :oops:

I thought Darius (the second???) had completed a canal wide enough for two triremes to sail abreast through the northeast of Africa or Saudi Arabia. I think I read it in Herodotus. It's around the time frame I think and the Phoenicians were the engineers if I am not mistaken. Unfortunately my copy of "The Histories" has gone AWOL since I last cleaned my place.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:I thought Darius (the second???) had completed a canal wide enough for two triremes to sail abreast through the northeast of Africa or Saudi Arabia. I think I read it in Herodotus.
Yup, Herodotus mentions it; and it's Darius I. His own, not very interesting, report is here.
Jona Lendering
My website
Thanks Jona! I thought I might be wrong in who it was but knew it was there.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Which still leaves me in doubt as to the claim of the replica being 'the fist since 600BC', because it's still wrong - Darius either dug or repaired a canal, which then was in use for some time I guess. The claim is therefore at least a century off, or more even.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
This may be slightly off-topic, but L. Sprague deCamp mentions (in Ancient Engineers, 1963, pp77-78) a canal Xerxes had dug across the Athos peninsula in 480 BC, including a lengthy quote from Herodotus as documentation. (Herodotus credits the Phoenicians with superior engineering skills, though deCamp notes the lack of an explanation how they learned about canal digging.)

Other than irrigation works, he mentions no other monumental canals dug by the Persians.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Ron Andrea wrote:This may be slightly off-topic, but L. Sprague deCamp mentions (in Ancient Engineers, 1963, pp77-78) a canal Xerxes had dug across the Athos peninsula in 480 BC, including a lengthy quote from Herodotus as documentation. (Herodotus credits the Phoenicians with superior engineering skills, though deCamp notes the lack of an explanation how they learned about canal digging.)

Other than irrigation works, he mentions no other monumental canals dug by the Persians.

Cyrus diverting a river for some purpose or another. I will quote the paragraph when I get home.

EDIT

The Gyndes River was diverted into 360 channels by Cyrus' army during the march to Babylon.
Herodotus,b.I,p.189-190

(Hope I referenced it right or at least coherently)
Craig Bellofatto

Quote:Which still leaves me in doubt as to the claim of the replica being 'the fist since 600BC', because it's still wrong - Darius either dug or repaired a canal, which then was in use for some time I guess. The claim is therefore at least a century off, or more even.
The ships were pharaoh Necho's. He also started the canal, and it has been thought that both projects belong together: opening trade opportunities and so on, but also creating the possibility to sail from the Mediterranean to the Persian Gulf, and attach the new Babylonian Empire on an unexpected place. This was also a risk (Egypt might be attacked in the same way) and Necho abandoned the canal. Darius, who owned both the shores of the Persian Gulf and Egypt, returned to the project and finished it.
Jona Lendering
My website