Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-Roman British Army Composition
My question is, how large would a Sub-Roman British army be, what would its organization be like, and finally, what would its tactics be like. Seeing as we've exhausted what cavalry is about, and have a pretty good idea of what the infantry was like, I'd like to know how it all came together and worked as a whole.
Nicholas
Based on the sources referenced during the previous discussion, I would guess that sub-Roman infantry tended toward tribal house-guards or local levy. As Roman administration disintegrated, organized, training and equipping a standing force--mounted or foot--would have been among the first things to go.

At first they may have used Roman equipment and tactics, but they would certainly have lacked the size to make much of an impact.

Gildas indicated that the local kinglets were as much about fighting each other as addressing the Saxon threat.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Frankly, I think the previous threads included everything that we know and can reasonably assume. Everything else is going to be guesswork, though I do think we can make some good guesses. But almost nothing can be *proven*, as we've all seen. So I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish, here, aside from another house of cards!

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
That's the point though, speculation. I just want to see some reasonable scenarios as I'm writing my own books as well as the fact that this happens to be a hobby of mine.
Nicholas
Quote:That's the point though, speculation. I just want to see some reasonable scenarios as I'm writing my own books as well as the fact that this happens to be a hobby of mine.

You go first then...and do we get credits when the books are published? Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:That's the point though, speculation. I just want to see some reasonable scenarios as I'm writing my own books as well as the fact that this happens to be a hobby of mine.

Yes, but we've already speculated.
At great length.

As Matt says, I don't think there's much more to be said on the subject that hasn't already been touched on. There is very, very little archaeology to go on (unlike the huge archaeological evidence for their germanic counterparts), no great body of pictorial evidence so all there is to go on is the scant textual evidence (Gildas, Y Goddodin and, to a lesser extent, later works like the 'Urien' praise poems of Taliesin) which don't tell you much.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Nicholas, yo're just attempting to re-open a debate that went over this and ran out of steam. Please don't.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Salve Brothers,

Agreed. We have pretty much chewed all the fat from skinny bones.
I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a pleasant Holidays. My online access is strictly limited at the moment: my computor kicked me off the internet, my email account was hijacked, and everything is in limbo.

I have yet to check my PMs, but I will.
In the meantime, I have finished two prototype Wusun-Alanic swords; the ones pictured on the Orlof Battle placque, which used to be pictured on page 32 of this thread. Recently, I discovered that the scabbard slide was pictured on a 5th to 4th century belt placque from the Altai. This points to the Saka culture as the originator, not the Chinese.

Our Legio is trying to outfit our British section, the Exculcatores Iuniores Britanniciani. Don't know much beyond what the ND records. Mostly a foot unit, or did it have a small cavalry section? Everyone knows my field of studies, so would any Alans/Taifali be in the Exculcatores?

My best to you all from my local library computor Big Grin ,
Alanus
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
No cavalry section as far as I know, but some unrecorded Alan or Taifal light-medium cavalry scouts might not be out of the question. :wink:
Nicholas