Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avé from Cape Town
Hi

My name is Edouard de Villiers and I will soon be 16 . I'm in the process of getting the items needed for an impression, based of of trajan's collum , from Soul of the Warrior.

I live in Cape Town and I'm a member of the Heritage Group , South-Africa's largest re-enactment group . They do impressions of various units from various time periods.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this forum and to improve my impression.

Regards
Edouard de Villiers
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
-----------------------------------------------------------
Edouard de Villiers
Welcome to the forum, Edouard!

Be sure you decide which persona you wish to depict, as the equipment and armament of the Roman soldier changed considerably over the centuries that Rome existed as kingdom/republic/empire. There is a wealth of information here, make free use of the search box in the upper right corner of the screen, and you can research all kinds of topics and encounter quite a wide array of opinions and ideas.

Enjoy! And if you need help, just ask. However, if the question has been answered multiple times, you may find that the answer is simply, "Search for that topic". Some things come in cycles, and have been thoroughly discussed in the archives.

Hope it's not too hot where you are.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Welcome to the forum, Edouard!

Be sure you decide which persona you wish to depict, as the equipment and armament of the Roman soldier changed considerably over the centuries that Rome existed as kingdom/republic/empire. There is a wealth of information here, make free use of the search box in the upper right corner of the screen, and you can research all kinds of topics and encounter quite a wide array of opinions and ideas.

Enjoy! And if you need help, just ask. However, if the question has been answered multiple times, you may find that the answer is simply, "Search for that topic". Some things come in cycles, and have been thoroughly discussed in the archives.

Hope it's not too hot where you are.

I'm quite used to forums and do know of the search bar and repetition of topics :lol: Since I do WW2 re-enacting and airsofting.

The heat here is quite bearable , wish I could say the same about further in country.

I'm aiming to do an Emperial-era impression , more specifically a legionary from one of the legions based in africa or in the middle-east. What time space and equipment would that fit into best?
Edouard de Villiers
Well, you've narrowed it down to about 300 years, more or less. Julius Caesar, Pompey, M. Antonius were there around the turn of the Millennium on, and there were others in various places on through the next three or four centuries, at least. Some of various legions had vexillations in the area. Naturally, there was a Roman presence in the North of Africa ever since the Punic Wars.

Probably the most commonly chosen reenactor era is 1st Century AD, probably followed in Europe by "Late Romans", around 350 to 450AD. In between in quantity are 1st C BC reenactors and 2nd 3rd C AD groups.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
1st Century it is then Smile
Edouard de Villiers
Well, I'm 20 now and starting to get more serious about putting an impression together. Finally buying items here and there. Though I've changed my time period of interest to the 4th century. Hopefully I'll have something to post for my efforts before the next year. Wink
Edouard de Villiers
Quote:. Though I've changed my time period of interest to the 4th century.
Great choice! If you have any questions just let me know.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'll be sure to do so. I've already directed quite a few questions towards a member of Comitatus in the UK. I'm currently in the process of getting the necessary clothing, footwear and shield. Spear and sword will have to wait until I finish my 11th and 13th century impressions first.

One question I do have: is this style of hauberk I use for later periods suitable? It's made from 6mm riveted rings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edouard de Villiers
Ave Edouard de Villiers,

Welcome to the forum. You will find interesting, diverse writing about a plethora of subjects here.

As an aside, I had the pleasure of visiting Cape Town many years ago. Met a wide variety of wonderful folks. I do have a vivid memory of swimming at a beach there. The water was damn cold.

Best of luck on your devises. You will get excellent advice here. Keep in mind that re-enacting is for fun.

Vale optime,

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
Quote:Ave Edouard de Villiers,

Welcome to the forum. You will find interesting, diverse writing about a plethora of subjects here.

As an aside, I had the pleasure of visiting Cape Town many years ago. Met a wide variety of wonderful folks. I do have a vivid memory of swimming at a beach there. The water was damn cold.

Best of luck on your devises. You will get excellent advice here. Keep in mind that re-enacting is for fun.

Vale optime,

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre Kleff)

Thank you, Publius.

PS. I necro'ed my own 4 year old thread, I'm not new to reenacting and I've been lurking here on and off. ;-)

[Image: c9aadb26-327d-4a2c-8406-73284f884fc9_zps0e83ce8c.jpg]

[Image: e5dcb9eb-5aef-41b7-95ba-413bd6351d5f_zpsmesvvc62.jpg]

[Image: eb5ff2e1-e6e6-4753-87a7-8036fe460079_zpsf5636aea.jpg]
Edouard de Villiers
Good kit! Russian infantry in Africa - what could be better? Big Grin
Ergo bibamus!
Nikolai aka Manius Potator
Wonderful uniforms. Very impressive. You will enjoy venturing into ancient Rome.

Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pete Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
Just a small update on my impression. I'm still waiting for my belt and shield to be made, after which I will move on to weaponry and armour. I already have an idea of which types of helmets would be good, but I was wondering if there was anything specific about riveted maille that I should take into account? (Like rivet shape etc.)

[Image: 20150814_162035-1_zpspdh8svep.jpg]

[Image: 20150814_162059-1_zpsx47curci.jpg]
Edouard de Villiers
Small update. I now have a shield. Many thanks to Elizabeth from Comitatus.

Next up, looking for a smith who isn't flooded with commissions.  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-07-2016, 04:47 PM)Kryger Wrote: Small update. I now have a shield. Many thanks to Elizabeth from Comitatus.

Next up, looking for a smith who isn't flooded with commissions.  Smile

Looks good! Go for a decent spear first.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)