Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc
(Just to clarify from where I draw inspiration: The upper part of my pattern comes from the Achilles and Patrokles kylix (but with less scales) and the lower part comes from the arming seven heroes scene. That's why I want the pteruges as long as possible.. )

I haven't finished updating the pattern yet but I have experimented with scales. I did one crudely dished; one curved with a small ridge; and one with no significant curve but a more acute ridge (although both look the same in the pic..). The last has the little bump that the seven heroes seem to sport. I interpret it as a high point in the metal rather than a rivet head, just because I can't see no real need for a rivet in that place in scales that hang downwards.

I would appreciate any feed-back on which design or design combination that appears to give the most strength, is easiest to work with, or which seems to best represent ca 500bc. From my rudimentary experiments the little bump and the sharp ridge are easy to do whereas the curved is more difficult and the dished one is the most difficult. If I go with the dished I would probably have to make a two-piece mould to assist in dishing.

The dimensions of the scales are 2.5 * 5 cm (0,5 mm thick), or for the metrically challenged, about 1 times 2 inches (don't know what the thickness is in American as I am gauge/inch/feet challenged).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc - by Daniel S. - 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM