Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc
Wow, those are some exciting news! Looking forward to hear more about those findings when they get published.

A rant related to this: My main problem right now is sourcing metal. I would prefer tin-bronze (about 10% tin and 90% copper) but to get a good price I need to buy quite a lot (a roll of 8 times 0,3 metres). And unfortunately I am unable to find any plates wider than 30cm so it would be hard to use the excess metal to make greaves or other larger items.

An alternative would be tinned steel (which is another pet theory that I like to try out) but tin is so expensive that it couldn't end up cheaper then bronze. I could go with galvanized steel but it just isn't the same. For the plate inserts I could just use painted steel but bronze or tinned steel would be cooler. I guess I could use untreated steel for the plates and scales but the maintenance might be too much (I do live in a dry climate so its ok though).

The most realistic option is brass. It looks ok but its just not bronze. And also, I have access to choose between silicon and tin bronze to cast a thicker plate or bowl to hammer into a helmet so if I go with brass for the body the colours will clash. If I cheat and use painted steel for the helmet however, then brass would be ok. And plus, making the helmet would be more straightforward.

If anyone have any suggestion for which option to go with I'm all ears!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc - by Daniel S. - 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM