Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc
Threadomancy! Eight years later and I am finally returning to this project. After becoming a metal artist I now have plenty of metal and experience working metal and leather. Have stripped the leather of the modern paint and dyed it a reddish dark brown. The idea of using linen under scales has been scrapped and I am now going with leather entirely. Complemented with metal reinforcements.

As the images show I have double layers of leather (around 7mm) over the shoulders, top chest piece, and pteruges. The midsection which will be completely covered by scales is one layer (3-4mm). Shoulders and top chest piece will have borders and decorations in bronze. 

Based on finds from cultures near Greece I have decided to go with much smaller scales than I had initially planned. I now believe that the size of scales in vase depictions are even more exaggerated than I used to think. I will likely make most scales in iron (mild steel) as so many finds are iron or contains both scales of iron and copper alloy. But again, other decoration and fittings will be bronze.

Reminder: Inspired by depictions from around 520-480 bc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc - by Daniel S. - 03-22-2021, 10:47 AM