Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German bog spears
I have seen the odd illustration showing these spears as quite long ...i.e. at least two or three head heights above the head, in some longer.

Does anyone know if any definative lengths of shafts from the bog finds please?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:I have seen the odd illustration showing these spears as quite long ...i.e. at least two or three head heights above the head, in some longer.

Does anyone know if any definative lengths of shafts from the bog finds please?

Take a look at the online Engelhardt

[url:h5meqhh0]http://www.archive.org/details/denmarkinearlyir00engeuoft[/url]

The passage on spears gives 9ft as an average, with the range being between 8ft and just over 10ft. In a section on Vimose bog finds he talks about shafts ranging between 9ft 4" and 11' 4".

Diameters are usually about 1".
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks .. thats very useful.

He suggests that the length of some spears indicates cavalry use.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Take a look at the online Engelhardt
[url:16avbcky]http://www.archive.org/details/denmarkinearlyir00engeuoft[/url]
The passage on spears gives 9ft as an average, with the range being between 8ft and just over 10ft. In a section on Vimose bog finds he talks about shafts ranging between 9ft 4" and 11' 4".
Engelhardt made the surprising comment (p. 57) that
Quote:The great length of these spears renders it probable that they have been used by
horsemen rather than by foot soldiers, who at any rate would have great difficulty in wielding weapons of that length.
I think we can put that assumption to rest, for sure? I certainly have no such assumed difficulties with my 9ft hasta.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The Historian Tacitus noted that German Infantry spears were very long on a number of occasions. e.g:-

"Annals" I.63 "...they were big men too, whose thrusts with their great spears had a formidable range.."

"Annals" II.11 "...the natives great shields and huge spears are not so manageable among tree trunks and scrub as Roman gladii and pila and close-fitting armour..."

"Annals" II.19 "...crammed into a narrow space they could neither thrust nor pull back their great spears....The Romans on the other hand, with shields close to their chests and sword hilts firmly grasped....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26782&p=241492#p241492">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26782&p=241492#p241492<!-- l
Here you have some data about bog spears lenght. And not in "feets" but in "cm" like civilized people :wink:
pozdrawiam!
Bartosz Gluszczak

Hajris/Dagome chronicles
Quote:And not in "feets" but in "cm" like civilized people
I always think of the headline in a British newspaper a few years back that read, "Britain Inches Toward the Metric System".

Yeah, we Colonials are certainly an uncivilized lot, it's true. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If only the SI weren't associated with Napoleon. You know how reviled he is in the colonies. :lol:

Seriously, for some of our xenophobes, it's all things French.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:If only the SI weren't associated with Napoleon. You know how reviled he is in the colonies. :lol:

Seriously, for some of our xenophobes, it's all things French.
Worse, secular French revolutionaries! What could be more un-American Smile (Just don't mention Thomas Paine or the lengthy debate in the US over which side of the Napoleonic Wars to join).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.