Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyramids
Quote:Without wanting to bud in, perhaps the discussion whether the builders of the pyramids were skilled slaves or skilled labourers... I recall that most workers were free men but under an obligation to work on the project for a certain amount of time? Each village was supposed to provide a levy of workers, like in a feudal system? That would make them free but yet compelled, and perhaps not so skilled as some would have them be? Perhaps they learned on the job from a permanent workforce?
So basically serfs, not slaves.
Alex
Again, they believed their Pharaoh to be a god. To give a couple of years of paid/fed/housed service to a god would be something most folks would not shirk from. Not serfs. The people today who pledge a few years of service to their military are not serfs, they are just people under a contract to perform a task.

Serfdom was a permanent condition, just about irrevocable, unless someone from higher up promoted a serf for some reason or for outstanding, excellent service to the throne.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Without wanting to bud in, perhaps the discussion whether the builders of the pyramids were skilled slaves or skilled labourers... I recall that most workers were free men but under an obligation to work on the project for a certain amount of time? Each village was supposed to provide a levy of workers, like in a feudal system? That would make them free but yet compelled, and perhaps not so skilled as some would have them be? Perhaps they learned on the job from a permanent workforce?

Am I adding too many questiomarks here? Big Grin
There was an earlier discussion here (it would have been better if I could read ancient Greek at the time). I think there must have been a mix of conscripted peasants to do the simple, heavy work (like hauling blocks or ingredients for concrete), people with skills which most people didn't have (maybe bakers or carpenters?), and experts (surveyers, scribes, some of the stoneworkers).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.