Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia, celtic knife?
Would it be correct for a galloroman auxilia soldier, Flavian era, to carry a kind of celtic knife/dagger/... instead of a pugio? I really don't know and I come to seek information by those who might know more about this.
If yes, could anyone give me some information about this; such as where I can find info on this, on celtic weapons and also, where I might buy such weapon?

Thanks in advance.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Would it be correct for a galloroman auxilia soldier, Flavian era, to carry a kind of celtic knife/dagger/... instead of a pugio? I really don't know and I come to seek information by those who might know more about this.
If yes, could anyone give me some information about this; such as where I can find info on this, on celtic weapons and also, where I might buy such weapon?

I think that would be fine. Ask Robert Wimmers. He can do you a great knife, for sure.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks for the information!

Are there any finds of knifes/daggers in sort of a celtic style from this era?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Hi,
I can not help and say if it is historically correct for a Gallo-Roman, but there are beautiful forged knives in that era, the ones I remember best are big knives with handles ending in a ring or swelling. If you decide to forge your own knife, if you want, I can give you some advice ... the knifemaking is my main hobby.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
The La Tene knives from Port may prove interesting. As Mario said, some do have rings, but others have plated handles. They are pretty large knives. I have a large blank of one recently forged, well over 40 cm. There are only a few knives not being pugio in Miks, I would have to check on their date but believe these are later. The shape of the large drop-point knives does not really change much from Celtic into Roman period and after, then they become known as saex and develop further into single edged swords, although the "smaller" utility ones do seem to stick around. My RAT post on " Big Franks " show some of the possibilities. Send me a PM with an e-mail adres and I will send you some pics of the possibilities. They may inspire you.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Four of your commilitones have a large 'fighting' knife made by Robert, Castvs. They are great :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thanks for the praise, Jef :oops: ! And they were fun to make! Those are Germanic knives, wooden core handle covered in rawhide, very usefull, but I believe Castvs is looking for a gallo-Roman knife or dagger, so there are more options here. I have PM ed Castvs/Sander and recommended a different type then the ones I did for you guys, one with a hornplated handle rivited on. I am working on one of those now for a client, should be able to post a picture in a few weeks time. That one is about twice as much as the Germanic ones, I do still make these on demand, though.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert,
I've seen your mail but I haven't had time to answer yet. I'll take a closer look later today and I'll let you know. Many thanks. Smile
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Hi all,

I'm proud to show you pictures of the knife Robert made me and which I received today. A beauty!
Handle is hornplated.

[attachment=821]Alternatiefmes.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=822]100_2252.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=823]100_2255.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Hullo Titus.
Do you have the publication details of this illustration?
[attachment=821]Alternatiefmes.jpg[/attachment]
Michael Ulfric Douglas <-- Call me Ulfric, its my name.
Hi Ulfic,

This drawing was publicised in an old book on the finds at Augsburg, Germany, dated 16 AD, Roman context. Christian Koepfer just sent me copies of some plates from the book and I sent a drawing to Sander to determine whether this was the type of knife he wanted. The finds are currently being redescribed, the information in that old book is very scetchy at best, so I based the replica on just this drawing, which had a scale indication 1:2. You can take the given measurement of the blade as a reference, should you want to make one. You could also wait for the book to be published end of this year, I suppose. I am looking forward to its publication, as there are several diffent kinds of knives decribed. I currently have two replica's from Augsburg in stock, these were loanitems to the project, both ring-handled with horn plates and a curved blade.

Send me a PM and I could send you some pictures, be sure to include a regular e-mail adress in the PM for me to mail you the pictures.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Here is the scabbard I made for my knife. The nails in the first picture have been replaced already, as the heads were on the wrong side and it wasn't very safe (see last picture for new nails).

[attachment=1489]DSC_4617kl.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1490]DSC_4625kl.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1491]DSC_4626kl.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1492]DSC_4626kl_2011-08-17.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Celtic" utility (hunting?) knife & folder Steve Lenz 5 2,261 03-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Steve Lenz