Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/32nd Scale Imperial Romans
East of India is well known for their quality work, particularly their Samurai Range (including a special collection of the 47 Ronin).

Now they have Imperial Roman and Greek ranges as well.

These figures are not cheap. Indeed, to assemble even a modest army for tabletop war games one would need a budget to rival that of the Pentagon. That said, the quality is obvious.

Now if only someone would release figures of this quality and scale but in unpainted and affordable plastic. Perhaps some day ...

http://www.eastofindia.com/

To add to our popular Ancient Collection we have launched a new range featuring Rome and its enemies; entitled "The Might of Rome".

Our initial figures for the range, as you can see below, are based around the fourteenth legion (Legio XIIII * see note) and their time spent in Britannia. They were ordered there by the Emperor Claudius in his 43AD invasion of this far distant island race. Here Legio XIIII (Gemina), Legio XX (Valeria) and Legio IX (Hispana) fought along side each other with mixed results of success. The Iceni tribe and their Queen, Boudicca, wiped out a large part of Legio IX on the march in East Anglia. We won't be making that legion for a while, well that's unless you collect casualty figures!

We have also added some "generic figures" that can cover various legions in other campaigns around about the same period of the mid 1st century AD. In a similar manner to when we first launched our Ancient Greeks; their enemies will follow at a later date!

Figures within the ROME set numbering depict a centurion and also various legionnaires wearing the ingenious "lorica segmenta" armour; which was firstly flexible and well balanced and also presumably able with the new helmet design to give better protection against the taller tribesmen striking the head area with their long swords. Our pila in this range are made from steel with composite detailed parts made in also a robust material to give that extra protection when we ship them to you!

Figures within the ROMS set numbering depict; firstly a Vexillarius carrying a Vexillum with the Capricorn emblem of Legio XIIII, a Singifer and of course a Cornicen to blast the legion on their way to victory.

Figures within the ROMC and ROMX sets are the auxiliary cavalry and infantry attached to the legion. These were often the real work horses of the legion and in border outbreaks in Britannia did most of the actual fighting with the legionnaires mostly held back as reserves. Hence a lot of battles were recorded as having "no Roman casualties!".

Finally in the ROMA set numberings; to bring a little missile support to our valiant army; we have a Scorpio with 2 crew and 2 sets of Eastern Archers. Each century was equipped with a "scorpion" and in addition every cohort had the heavier stone throwing ballista to add to the artillery capabilities of the Roman army, which was significant for the age, laying down battery fire for both sieges and open field conflicts. Also the 2 sets of Eastern archers to add more colour to the later conflicts supporting the Romans army as auxiliaries.

* Note - AND to avoid numerous letters and emails as to why it is not XIV for the forteenth legion - The notation of Roman numerals has varied through the centuries. Originally, it was common to use IIII to represent four, because IV represented the Roman god Jupiter, whose Latin name, IVPPITER, begins with IV. The same form of additative notation was used with XIIII opposed to XIV in the case of the fourteenth legion during their service in Britannia. The subtractive notation (which uses IV instead of IIII) has become universally used only in more recent times. For example, Forme of Cury, a manuscript from 1390, uses IX for nine, but still IIII for four.

Enough waffle from us ...
A note: These figures are approximately 54mm tall, in other words 1:32 scale. The same scale as our Ancient Greek range.

Nice attention to detail.
Now, if only I could win the lottery ...
:oops: :? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:These figures are not cheap. Indeed, to assemble even a modest army for tabletop war games one would need a budget to rival that of the Pentagon.

I think you'd need a tabletop the size of the Pentagon too. :lol:
Hello, my name is Harry.
Hi all,

yes, the Romans are not bad, but not outstanding. And I agree totally to You, they are not too cheap.

But - on the first page - did I see there an ancient Hoplite drummer boy ?!? :?

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
"A Greek Drummer Boy?"

Indeed you did see that Uwe, and to bring it all full circle, that's how I first came to this particular site -- toy soldier drummers.

There is a toy company here in the US (Conte Collectibles http://www.contecostore.com/plastics.html ) that has been producing some of the very best 54mm figures in plastic to be found anywhere. The owner is a BIG fan of Kirk Douglas films, and many of his ranges are built around films (Zulu, The Warlord, The Longest Day, The Vikings, The 300 Spartans, etc.)

Conte was working on a set of Romans for a Spartacus range, and among them were legionaries in segmented armor playing drums. Of course this comes from a line in the film Spartacus when Crassus (Olivier) admonishes his young protege to leave Rome at night "... without fanfare or even a drum."

But did the Roman Army really use drums?

I did not know, but as nice as the figures looked it did not seem quite right. And thus did I begin my quest for the answer. An E-mail to the Emine Street Guard generated a response pointing me in the direction of Roman Army Talk. I entered in and have never left.

As far as the figures go -- I like the work done by East Of India, particularly their samurai, but I think the plastic figures done by Conte are even better and certainly more affordable. Now if he would only release his Romans in plastic ...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The pieces look nice, but $32 for a 2" figure? What are they made from? I've been wanting for some time to have Roman figures as nice as my little brothers new Star Wars toys (which now have ball-jointed wrist, elbows, shoulders, knees...) and sell for like $7 each...
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Star Wars figures have come a long way from their first days of little articulation and somewhat primitive sculpts, and the new AT-AT (or BAT-At as it is called) is really quite impressive.

My grandson has a rather large Clone Army for as we all know: You Can Never Have Too Many Storm Troopers. Certainly, that is his mantra. :?

Indeed, metal Romans in 1/32 Scale are beyond my budget. Conte has been hinting at releasing 1/32 Romans in unpainted plastic (as they did Spartans, based upon the 1962 film The 300 Spartans) but they have yet to make those hints a reality. :|

Now War Games Factory has been turning out beautiful plastic Romans in 28mm -- perfect for tabletop battles. However, for larger figures, Playmobil is almost the only option.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Dont buy many plastic Roman kits, But i am trying to get my Aoshima 1/35 samurai collection complete Smile

These 1.32 soldiers are still too crude for my liking Wink

I totally agree with your Mantra though.. you can never have too many stormtroopers Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Indeed Marcus, that is a mantra I have recited many times, as the numerous containers of Star Wars figures in my garage demonstrate. :oops:

Good 1/32 or 1/35 samurai can be tough to find, particularly with the intricate armor... Tamiya had some good 1/35 plastic figures long ago, but the range was really rather limited. Then there was the special collector's set of the Seven Samurai in 12" figures, but those were very expensive and now difficult to find.

I'll keep my eyes open but you have set yourself a daunting task.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well, Aoshima in the 70s brought out about 20 sets of varying samurai, ashigaru, townfolk et cetera. I have most of them, still unbuilt, but still seeking out the ones i dont have.

Also have one Alfrex Doll, the Mondo assassin Samurai, and another brand's Tokugawa Ieyasu of which i have repainted the armour in the gold colour it should have.

And i collect Doyusha Japanese Castles, finishing up Himeji, and am building matsumoto castle at the moment Wink

So yes, apart from Star Wars, WWII RC, and Rome, my biggest passion is Japan and its Samurai era.

Mantra galore i would say. Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Aventine Miniatures Early Imperial Romans SUETONIUS PAULLINUS 0 3,380 10-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Last Post: SUETONIUS PAULLINUS
  1/32nd scale Spartans in Plastic! Narukami 5 4,672 09-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  New 1/72 Imperial Romans From Zvezda Narukami 2 2,607 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Narukami