Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teutoburger Wald in minature..brilliant!
Almost like looking at movie stills
http://www.pdf-engine.net/view.php?bt=KE...-Equipment

regards
Ingvar
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
This is great stuff! It looks pretty accurate too. It's interesting to see what the Germanic warriors are using for weapons and shields. The shields all seem to have the central 'rib' on their shields. However, when I see 1st cen. Germanic reenactors, most, if not all, are using cone shaped shield bosses and no ribs on their shields. Would anyone know which design's more accurate, or if both were in use at the same time?
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
I've been told "both" during the 1st Century, with the trend toward the flat-faced shield with cone-shaped (spiked or unspiked) bosses.

You may find some answers on kelticos.org
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:This is great stuff! It looks pretty accurate too. It's interesting to see what the Germanic warriors are using for weapons and shields. The shields all seem to have the central 'rib' on their shields. However, when I see 1st cen. Germanic reenactors, most, if not all, are using cone shaped shield bosses and no ribs on their shields. Would anyone know which design's more accurate, or if both were in use at the same time?

Thanks for the compliments! It was a 2+ year project... While the overall diorama is somewhat abstract, an effort was made to make the individual figures as accurate as possible within the confines of the castings themselves and time available. Where liberties or artistic license was used (just what color tunics should the Romans be wearing...?) I made an effort to explain my choice in the text.

If you look closely, you'll notice lots of variation - as should be expected, more so among the Germans than among the Romans (although even they display a couple different types of helmets and several styles of armor). The Germanic warriors do indeed carry both types of shield, although I believe most do have the central rib you mention. They also come in various shapes and sizes ranging from small shields consisting of uncovered wooden planks, to oval and hexagonal wearing a variety of different colors and designs. They also carry a wide range of weapons. Many have the standard "spear and shield", but many also have swords and there are even a few clubs, a sling, a bow, and a couple small axes - and captured Roman weapons - in use as well. Whether Tacitus was right or wrong, the warriors at least come close to matching his description of them...
Kevin
This is amazing, great work!
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Very well done. We shall hold a triumph in your honor!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:Very well done. We shall hold a triumph in your honor!

A triumph indeed! And for the Teutoburger Wald, even. A very far cry from what Varus received... Now there's some alternative history for you! Big Grin
Kevin