Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Tunics
I'm trying to put together a soft kit that would work well for a Germanic tribesman (Anglo-Saxon, Continental Saxon, Frank, or Scandinavian), and I want it to be as versatile as possible. As such, I was hoping to be able to span a couple different points in history with as few pieces of different kit as possible. The time periods I'm interested in are 1st Century, 5th Century-Vendel Period, and 9th Century.

For the 1st Century kit, I already have a tunic with split-side construction, so that's covered.

For the 9th Century kit, I already have plans to make a gusseted tunic.

But for the 5th Century (the time of the Anglo Saxon invasion of England) and the later Vendel Period, which were they wearing? When did Germanic tunics make the transition from split-side, no gussets/gores in sides (like the Thorsberg tunic) to later Viking tunics that had gusseted inserts?
Myles

There is the probability that the 'Vikings' continued to wear side split tunics alike to the Thorsbjerg and Bermuthsfeld tunics, the late viking age Viborg shirt/tunic also has sides that are split to the hip.

best
Ingvar
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Quote:Myles

There is the probability that the 'Vikings' continued to wear side split tunics alike to the Thorsbjerg and Bermuthsfeld tunics, the late viking age Viborg shirt/tunic also has sides that are split to the hip.

best
Ingvar
Thanks Ingvar,

I realize that the split side tunic survived past the Migration Period. Sorry about that. I guess my question should have been: When did gusseted tunics first make their appearance, and are they appropriate for someone portraying a Saxon invader in 5th, 6th, or 7th Century England?