Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giannis vs Polinik on the color of bronze :)
Silicon bronze today is widely used as it an easily mass produced material. It has excellent cold ductability and can be had in nearly any shape required. Phosphor is a much more expensive alloy and is closer to an ancient alloy as it has tin in it, silicon bronze uses no tin; having used the silicon to stand in for it in the mixture.

The debate is interesting but is yet another topic fraught with too many variables to satisfy everyone on the 'right' and 'wrong'. Alloy components and where they come from effect the color as much as where it was buried and restorative techniques applied to the artifact. More importantly the alloys used throughout the history of Greece and Rome changed over time and where very varied by region, chronology, etc. simply put there is no absolute here.

The only thing I can say is that in the coming months I am reproducing a helmet using its actual alloy. The color and physical characteristics will be the same as its archeological counterpart. As far as I am aware it's the first time it has been done. It has been extremely time consuming and expensive to do. I doubt I could offer it as reenactor's piece of kit as there's no justification to spend so much for a helmet to wear around when a much more pocket friendly silicon bronze version will appear the same. The ancient alloy one however is different enough to warrant its production for researchers. But I will be excited to see the true color of an ancient Corinthian as it was when new.
Michael

Messages In This Thread
Re: Giannis vs Polinik on the color of bronze :) - by Dioskouri - 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Re: Giannis vs Polinik on the color of bronze :) - by wengazi - 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM