Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G. Shipway\'s "Imperial Governor"
This title just popped up in my Amazon.UK recommendations and I went ahead and ordered it. Has anyone read this one? Thoughts on the author?<br>
<br>
And what do you think of Cassell Military Paperbacks? This is my first of theirs. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 2/15/03 7:11:34 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well I read it donkeys' years ago and liked it a lot (a satisfying amount of plausible detail to my then-teenaged mind: hyper-criticality was my trademark then; now, I'm much more tolerant... most of the time... except when authors roll out the obligatory slave galleys;-). Perhaps not quite as much as his Paladin, but nevertheless not a bad read.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Read it years ago, just received and reread the new edition, marvellous stuff.<br>
<br>
By the by also just bought a new copy of Howard Fast "Spartacus" from the same source....good old Amazon. <p></p><i></i>
I finished it, and agree it is a good read. Lots of detail, maybe a bit too much on which cavalry units got dispatched in which directions (I lost track), but the politics of it all was well described. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Admittedly I have a weakness for Roman historical fiction genre and tend to find something I like in most of them (except for the Roman mysteries/whodunits-I need military action). I enjoy Coleen McCullough's Master's of Rome, Damion' Hunter's Centurion series as well as Simon Scarrows books. I enjoyed Imperial Governor because of the perspective of the main character. He was not a grunt or junior officer like in Hunter's or Scarrow's series, nor a commander of Caesar or Marius' status but mid-way between the two. A governor with military responsibilities and missions answerable to the emperor and his senior beaurocrats and hindered by other bearurocrats of comparable status.<br>
<br>
I particularly enjoyed the detailed description of the military campaigns and Roman units. The campaign in norhtern Wales, invasion of Anglesey and Boudiccea's revol are some of the high points. Having read Sinclair's Warrior Queen and Rosemary Sutcliff's Song of a Dark Queen (both about Boudiccea's revolt) it was interesting to read a story from the point of view of her antagonist. It was also unique in that the main character has flaws, his hatred for Britons grows but the events he experiences seems to explain why he feels the way he does. On the other hand he is a conscientious leader and good commander.<br>
<br>
I highly recommend the book. <p></p><i></i>
Hi<br>
<br>
Just finished Imperial Governor this morning and on the whole enjoyed it immensely.<br>
<br>
Shipway's description of action was very involving although as Rich says all those units do seem confusing (especially when Shipway admits that the only records we have of them being present in the province are from archaeological records - some dating from 180!). I also liked the tour and unavoidable administrative aspect of the governor's tenure.<br>
<br>
I had some misgivings though. His inclusion of Frontinus (here I must admit a speciality) and his reconstruction of his career vis a vis Britain is wrong. Frontinus did not include any stratagem of Suetonius and there is more evidence to argue that he was in fact with Corbulo in Parthia at the time, not doing engineering work in Britain - but since there are few interested in Frontinus I can forgive Shipway.<br>
<br>
My own prejudices aside, there is absolutely no evidence for Suetonius' involvement in either Chester or York (I am not well informed on the development of the fens to comment) -Chester had a fort in the 50's but no other evidence has been found of re-occupation except three lead ignots which date from 74 (and were found outside the fort boundaries) and the lead pipes inscribed with Agricola's name from 79. I feel that Shipway as been guilty of ascribing everything of import to Suetonius - much the same as some scholars have tended to want to give Agricola credit for everything - the curator of the Grosvenor Museum in Chester considered that Deva was founded for Agricola's invasion of Ireland which never eventuated.<br>
<br>
More common is the view that Chester was started by Frontinus and finished by Agricola (depending on whether you think water pipes go in first or last). Since Frontinus founded Isca and recent opinion has placed his marching camps further and further north, Chester would seem a logical foundation by Frontinus to control northern Wales. However, given Agricola's first campaign against Mona some have said Chester was his. We cannot know, but to say it was Suetonius' is not right.<br>
<br>
As for York, most credit it as Cerialis' although no evidence is any more specific that early Flavian (that is up to 77/7.<br>
<br>
Despite the way this probably sounds, these were very minor quibbles and my enjoyment far outweighed these few niggly details. I thoroughly recommend the book.<br>
<br>
Next on my list is Gore Vidal's Julian.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi / Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Ave guys,

In the light of the recent activity in the current topic "Imperial Governor", I wonder if you would like to update your comments? I've re-activated this old thread so that those members who have shown an interest can read your old comments in conjunction with the new.

Muzzaguchi or Murray, if I may be so bold, I would really like to read about Sextus Julius Frontinus. Although he may have been added in error to George Shipway's book he is someone who has interested me for many years.

He is one of the many characters who flit in and out of "Imperial Governor". I think that George has accurately portrayed some of his talents, for Frontinus was an extremely multi-talented man.

Perhaps you may wish to either post your comments here or in the new topic, I leave the choice up to you. I'd rather you posted in the new topic though. We can then let this old topic return from whence it came.

If you've been following my progress you will have noticed that I'm gradually bringing the main historical characters from "Imperial Governor" out of the shadows and into the spotlight.

I began with Caius Suetonius Paulinus in "Suetonius' Nero" and followed that up with Marcus Vettius Valens in "Roman Army Military Decorations".

Perhaps those of you who were anomymous then and are members now might wish to make yourselves known?

Finally, I do hope that you will consider my suggestions and act accordingly.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
the postings of "Anonymous" are from members who used to have an account on RAT v1, but whose accounts are deleted now.

I suggest to continue the discussion about the book Imperial Governor by John Shipway in this thread: Imperial Governor!.

I will close this one.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Governor! Spedius 72 21,309 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Spedius
  George Shipway, A Biography! Spedius 10 4,528 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Spedius
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,904 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus