Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tucson RAT\'ers?
Just visiting, but wondered if there are any RAT members here in Tucson?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
A check of the groups listing shows groups or former groups in TX New Mexico Nevada but Arizona doesn't seem to have ever had a group organized. Perhaps there are a few Rat members in Arizona but if they are active reenactors they have to travel to a neighborliness state.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
There are a couple of us in and around the Albuquerque are, just next door in New Mexico. No active groups. There just does not seem to be any interest. This is a pity since we have more 'old world ' charm and atmosphere than most other states. This include the fact you can still catch The Plague here....

Ralph
I had this group listing for New Mexico:

Legio V Macedonica
Ralph Izard
Albuquerque, New Mexico
[email protected] Email address bounced

Can you update? Inactive? Would reactive if more interest? Members now in another unit?
You could form a vexilation of another unit in nearby State.
Though a drive away there was a active group in Colorado. It numbered about 4-5 guys. Not a large showing but friendly enough. As far as I know I'm the only Roman reenactor - RAT'er in Southeast Colorado....

There is not much call for living history in Colorado outside of Civil War reenacting....
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
What source did you get my information from? That is my old e-mail address.

There are a few people interested in reenacting here, but most say they do not want to belong to any group, but to let them know when we have an event and they might show up. For all intent and purpose, more than half the people I have talked to want to things their way and wont work with anyone else. The few here who do want to work on a cooperative basis, but are too few to get anything done. This discourages any real effort here, and most people here are just not interested in any case.

At one point I had stockpiled a number of segs, helmets, mail, etc. to be used as loaner gear, but over the years gave it away to people who had a historic interest in the Roman period. I also have a coplete bronze casting system that will throw about 35 buckles at a time and items up to the size of parts for standards or a signum, and can stamp belt plates, and do a lot of other things, but it has never been hooked up. To do a pour, you have to have several people who know what they are doing. THe people who I took bronze casting with had no interest in anything Roman, even with the incentive to make money on it. They only waanted to use the equipment for their own projects and have me help them, but not the othet way around. Something about "Making a Statement to the Art Comunity", and also they needed me to loan them the bronze stock I had accumulated. I should also not tell anyone else I had all this equipment. ....And did I have more vodka? Conclusion: all the equipment is under tarps and has never been used. Oh well...

Ralph Izard
Are you in Tucson Ralph?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I am almost next door, as far as distances are considered here... like I posted above, Albuquerque, NM.

Ralph
Quote:What source did you get my information from? That is my old e-mail address.

There are a few people interested in reenacting here, but most say they do not want to belong to any group, but to let them know when we have an event and they might show up. For all intent and purpose, more than half the people I have talked to want to things their way and wont work with anyone else. The few here who do want to work on a cooperative basis, but are too few to get anything done. This discourages any real effort here, and most people here are just not interested in any case.

At one point I had stockpiled a number of segs, helmets, mail, etc. to be used as loaner gear, but over the years gave it away to people who had a historic interest in the Roman period. I also have a coplete bronze casting system that will throw about 35 buckles at a time and items up to the size of parts for standards or a signum, and can stamp belt plates, and do a lot of other things, but it has never been hooked up. To do a pour, you have to have several people who know what they are doing. THe people who I took bronze casting with had no interest in anything Roman, even with the incentive to make money on it. They only waanted to use the equipment for their own projects and have me help them, but not the othet way around. Something about "Making a Statement to the Art Comunity", and also they needed me to loan them the bronze stock I had accumulated. I should also not tell anyone else I had all this equipment. ....And did I have more vodka? Conclusion: all the equipment is under tarps and has never been used. Oh well...

Ralph Izard

A year or so ago I collected group info from all the lists I could find. I can list the group as inactive and either list your current Email addresss or a note you an be contacted on RAT
Leaving the old inactive groups listed helps answer questions like "Whatever happen to" "Wasn't there a group in _____ " and does hold out the remote chance of reforming or reactivation.
Another difficulty with reenacting here in the Southwest is the distances involved. For instance, I'm about 70 miles away from where Ralph lives, with a mountain range in between. Other inerested parties have had similar or greater distances to cover. It calls for a lot of driving time and the mountain passes here are frequently closed in winter by snow. So it's not a very "green" activity in terms of fuel consumption, and the Southwestern states are large, but with comparatively tiny populations. we're spread out. This is not like, say, Houston or Atlanta where you may have a sizable group of reenactors living within 10-mile radius.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:This is not like, say, Houston or Atlanta where you may have a sizable group of reenactors living within 10-mile radius.
Of course, in those big cities the elapsed time may not be much less when you consider the boneheads ramming their cars into each other and stopping lanes of traffic. Will we never run out of boneheads? :x
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.