Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!! ...again pentalpha/pendacle
Does any member of R.A.T has an image of the the pottery Item showing the hoplite with the "pentalpha"/pendacle on his shield.
I need it to advice an artist please.

Kind regards
Any chance? :roll:

Kind regards
Here I come to save the day......! (that is the Mighty Mouse theme)
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Thats bizzare! Never seen that symbol on a Greek shield before! Interesting!
Where does it originate? As in which city state?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Paul
This is the first of the 2.
Is is in the Geneva Museum of Art History-

Do you by any chance have the other one where 2 hoplites stand side by side
One with star on shield and the other with an eye?
(Here is the case of giving a yard and he will ask for a mile :oops: )

No not city state.
Thought the symbol had a meaning with the Summeriams, in Greek context is a pythagorean symbol.
The perfect geometric shape where the five points stand for:
1. ???? Water
2. ???? Earth
3. ???? ? ????? Idea or Sanctum
4. ???? (????????? ??? ?????) Sun heat (Energy)
5. ??? Air

Kind regards
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I nailed in finally

It was: Beasley 301590 Munich, Antikensammlungen J729

Kind regards
Assuming it is the same image, you've beaten me to it. But I saved this as (MUNICH, Museum Antiker Kleinkunst i (GERMANY 3, pls. 95 - 146). ), so perhaps yours is a different image? (or I am simply wrong)
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Very cool, I have spent countless hours researching known Greek shield devices and have never come across an image of the pentagram. What period is the pottery from?

Edit:

I found the pentagram listed in the catalogue of devices in the G.H. Chase book, he states that the image appears three times, (1) amphora on shield of Athena, (2) amphora on shield of warrior (both images posted by Paul B.), (3) coin of Pitane. He does'nt give dates for the amphora (or coin) though.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Paul, thanks its the same.
I only got it with the Beasley DB reference.

The star is clearly Pythagorean.
The white/on black eye is connected to a family of Elean sheers living in Croton.

The artifacts are dated in 550 to 500 B.C roughly at the time of the Battle of Krathes river
when the Crotoniates beat the Sybaritans

Kind regards
Hmm... on the other hand, if we place the eye inside the pentalpha, we have the Sign of the Elder Gods!!!! Great Cthulhu, 2012 is coming!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ