Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wax tablet carrying case help
I know that this thread was discussed before and I have sent Martin a PM. However, in the meantime, since I would like to make one for my next presentation in a few weeks, I thought to ask some of you gents.

I have goat leather and cow leather left over from my tegimen and would like to make one of these supposed wax tablet carrying cases or notebook bags (the original thread title). On the thread Martin wrote the following dimemsions: 15 x 11.5 x 5 cm for the piece from Vindonissa. However, Caballo mentioned some scale of 1:2 being present for such an item making it 28cm long and 7cm wide.

So which measurment is correct? Martin's or Caballo's? OR Are the numbers Martin supplied those for the Vindonissa find and Caballo's for Vindolanda?

What leather was originally used or what leather was used for the reconstruction? Goat leather or cow leather?

How thick was the leather of the original and how thick was the leather for the reconstruction?

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Personally, I'd always back Martin when it comes to leather... :roll:
I don't remember that post of mine- presumably the lead in the piping is finally kicking in....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I too trust Martin. However, from what I remember, he mentioned not seeing the 1:2 scale that you mentioned although he did mention not seeing any measurments from the piece in Vindolanda.

Thus I assumed that maybe Martin not seeing the scale made his a little too small but then again I think you were talking about the Vindolanda piece. I do not know since it was a while back and my memory about it is also fragmentary. The only reason why I have some data is because I cut paste both your and Martin's comments into a word document. Thus the other day when I went to look at the information, I saw the two sets of numbers but not how they relate and it caused some confusion.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Martin's dimensions are for the Vindonissa case; Caballo's measurments are for the peice from Vindolanda (about halfway down page 2).

Adam
Adam Oswalt

[url:30lkyohr]http://www.harja150ad.livejournal.com[/url]
I hope this is the correct interpretation. I was thinking the same thing based on what I had saved.

Thanks for the input.

Paolo
Hi,

sorry for the delay ... please see my answer at the original thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wax tablet carrying pouch Doc 12 2,723 07-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser