Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gregory, "Roman Military Architecture..."
Has anyone read or seen a copy of Shelagh Gregory's Roman Military Architecture on the Eastern Frontier, from AD 200-600?

It seems to be a substantial three-volume book, with volumes published 1995, 1996 and 1997. But I can't find any further information about what each volume contains.

Are the volumes chronological, does anyone know, or do they cover different topics? Is one of them composed of maps and plans alone? And is there a table of contents available anywhere?
Nathan Ross
(02-25-2017, 08:53 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Has anyone read or seen a copy of Shelagh Gregory's Roman Military Architecture on the Eastern Frontier, from AD 200-600?

It seems to be a substantial three-volume book, with volumes published 1995, 1996 and 1997. But I can't find any further information about what each volume contains.

Are the volumes chronological, does anyone know, or do they cover different topics? Is one of them composed of maps and plans alone? And is there a table of contents available anywhere?

Dear Nathan,

I held this work in my hands years ago and to my recollection it was similar in style to the old B.A.R. publications: courier style typewriting with hand drawn illustrations. But the version I have seen may have been the original dissertation, not the version apparently published later by A.M.Hakkert & W.Kos.

I have noted the following information  on the book when I was looking for it some time ago, but do not remember the source:

A.M.Hakkert & W.Kos: GREGORY, SHELAGH, Roman military architecture on the Eastern Frontier. Vol. 1-3. (complete set). Amsterdam 1997. 1600 pag. Many Ill. Quarto. 322.- Vol. 1 Text Vol. 2 Catalogue, Vol. 3. Maps, Plates, Illustr. and Drawings of the sites with the captions.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
(03-10-2017, 07:42 AM)jho Wrote: similar in style to the old B.A.R. publications

Thanks Jens. Yes, that's the impression I get from the few snippets available online.

If the illustrations (and plans?) are hand drawn it might be of limited use, but I've found that the British Library hold all three hefty volumes, so I might make a trip over there some time and take a look.
Nathan Ross
(03-10-2017, 09:28 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 07:42 AM)jho Wrote: similar in style to the old B.A.R. publications

Thanks Jens. Yes, that's the impression I get from the few snippets available online.

If the illustrations (and plans?) are hand drawn it might be of limited use, but I've found that the British Library hold all three hefty volumes, so I might make a trip over there some time and take a look.

Dear Nathan.
Working on my PhD I copied the book, if you need, I could send it.
(12-22-2017, 09:53 AM)Dmitry Karelin Wrote: Working on my PhD I copied the book, if you need, I could send it.

Only just spotted this message - sorry! Thanks for the offer, but I managed to get pdf copies of the volumes from another member.
Nathan Ross
(12-22-2017, 09:53 AM)Dmitry Karelin Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 09:28 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:

Dear Nathan.
Working on my PhD I copied the book, if you need, I could send it.

Hello,

I know it's been a while, but would you still have PDFs of the three volumes of "Gregory, S. Roman Military Architecture on the Eastern Frontier" ? 

I can't find them anywhere else online.

Thank you very much ! 
Have a nice day

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gregory Daly eugene 1 1,835 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,856 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  The Three Legions by Gregory Solon Anonymous 2 2,198 12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus