Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocrae Thickness Help
I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I cannot seem to find specific information about the thickness of ocrae. I know that an iron pair has been found and I also know that there were some gladiator ocrae and of course the copper alloy ones from the later period.

I am having a pair of ocrae done for my mid 1st C AD impression in brass and the armorer would like to know how thick he should make them. He insists on 0.8mm because he believes they are lighter and more easily managed by the wearer.

However, I recall something on the order of 1-1.5mm.

Any suggestions, evidence, or data on what would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance.
Ocrea can easily become pretty heavy. I would say a thickness of about 1mm would be find, surely when not used for combat. When for combat, a bit thicker would be better, say 1.5mm. If they are just for wearing and photographs, 0.8mm will do fine and is easier to wear.

I don't have the measurements on the gladiator ocrea from Pompeii ready, nor from the later ornate cavalry ones, at the moment, but could search for that. By my knowledge no 1st century centurio ocrea are found, so no relevant thickness of these can be found.
Of course it might also be interesting to include some earlier greek/samnite ones in your quest to the right thickness Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Jurjen for the information. I was thinking along the same lines but I was not sure.

I think that 0.8mm would also be good for combat. I remember that Matt Lukes made some gladiator pectorales at 0.8mm. I think that he based this on the research he did.

I would agree that thicker would be better. I think that 1mm would suffice overall.

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ocrae thickness Marcus Mummius 11 2,748 01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius