Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Villa Reconstruction, UK
I agree with the effect that Gladiator had in increasing peoples interest in the ancient world and yes you can't be too picky with films like that but isn't this series being touted as an authentic rebuild using authentic methods with authentic materials? Yes it is fun to watch the group dynamics but they are wanting it to come across at some point as a serious attempt at a Villa rebuild.
I feel sorry for the carpenter though, as soon as he's off the job all of a sudden they realise that they have to get a professional company in to provide the rest of the internal framework. Even if his first attempt had been correct with their schedule I wonder if they'd have still had to get that company in?
From what I've seen of the mosaic so far I can't honestly recall seeing anything like that Wink
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I take it all back.........please tell me they're not going to actually use that fresco the podgy cockney created?
Scott Goring
The worrying thing is that this is the second Villa reconstruction that Professor Morgan Evans has been involved with. (see Butser)
Wierdly enough - both projects exhibit the same fundamental flaws.

Despite the hard, back breaking work on reconstructing period mortar and stonework, both projects have been ruined by risible amateur effort on the mosaics and frecoes (ie the parts we can see!)

Again - the massive roof space is left unfilled by either ceiling or second floor, leaving rooms which are difficult to heat.

The argument that many 'villas' were actually quite rustic and less than palatial is credible, but I'm sure they were nonetheless habitable!

It is a shame that Britain has lost two exciting opportunities to have a working Villa reconstruction through precisely the same series of errors.
The amount of money which has been thrown at both projects is quite crass, compared to the end results.
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com
I agree Tim, if you wanted to interest a production company in rebuilding a villa the chances are now pretty well blown unless you get private funding. I imagine any reasonable painter would have been able to turn out something better, the one shot of the full fresco that I saw looks basic to say the least.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
Here you can take a look into the villa:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rome-...rtual-tour

The paint jobs indeed are a shame. The mosaic looks a bit better, but still it could easily have been way better.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Port-a-loo's in the kitchen and in the fridgidarium...hmmmmmm:?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
in the kitchen is actually quite common. In the frigidarium is strange, however.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I agree Tim. I noted a glimpse of next weeks episode where the mosaic was shown under construction, it looked awful. Like Tim, I'm not doubting that there's a lot of hard work gone into this project, but what a wasted opportunity. Such a shame. Sad
Scott Goring
Ok, bit of a double post here as it's on my marketplace thread too but just for anyone who's interested here's what I thought of the mosaic reconstruction;
Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day – The Mosaic
What did I think of it? First things first, I think the guy who was responsible; Kevin was set up to fail. I would have been very surprised if he had pulled it off. Mosaic work, Roman or Contemporary is easy to learn, it’s not rocket science. You draw a line, put your adhesive on the line then put your tiles tesserae (tiles) on the adhesive. That’s it, how good you get is down to how many you do. To make a Roman mosaic floor of that size takes careful planning and experience, having someone looking over his shoulder would have made all the difference.

When you have a project that makes much of its authenticity and use of original methods and materials then it must expect to be reviewed by others with experience in those fields. You only need to look at the comments on the website to see how people take at face value what they see in these programmes. Here then are the main points that I feel need highlighting, (with the caveat that we only see the final edited programme and I am looking at images from the programme and from the website, I’ve not been there in person);
  • The materials, coloured clay was used for parts of mosaics in Britain, notably the red is cut up roof tile, pottery pieces. They made extensive use of local stone. Clay is not strong enough as a floor surface and if you colour it the colour needs to be part of the entire piece. Just colouring the outside doesn’t work as this will be worn away. He did though do very well in producing that amount of tesserae for the mosaic.

• The method, there is absolutely no hard evidence to say they prefabricated the mosaics on cloth. Cloth at that time would have been very valuable and not something to use for this sort of thing. We do have hard evidence that they scored marks/guidelines in the surface of the floor and set the tesserae direct.

• The Rules, andamento, whatever you want to call it. The Romans used a set of rules in every mosaic they made, that’s the reason you see a line of the background colour tesserae around every figure. This borderline rule is also seen in geometric mosaics. In parts of this mosaic you can see some attempt at a borderline but mostly it’s not apparent. These rules are why you can criticise a Roman mosaic but not contemporary mosaics. In modern works there are no rules.

• The central motif, a bull’s head had the background made using what looked to be white Carrara marble. This is a pure white marble (it appears slightly grey on the programme which is how it appears when it is wet). When we talk of a white background we mean off white. Pure white is very rarely seen in a Roman mosaic as it is a very ‘flat’ colour. The stone of choice is something like Botticino, a marble with a very slight shade variance. It is this variance which gives the impression of depth.
It’s a real shame this ended up like this. I do not hold, as has been said that there are examples of Roman mosaics that are this rough. If there are I’ve not seen them. As I mentioned right at the start the chap who landed this job did not appear to have any real professional back up so you cannot hold him responsible. You only have to look at the example of the timber framing, the carpenter had problems with it and rightly or wrongly (in my opinion wrongly) he was removed from the project. And then they got in a professional timber framing company to do the rest. If they had had a professional guiding him for that part of the project maybe they would have pointed out earlier that it’s a job that is not possible for one man using hand tools.

It’s not being precious about this work but I think we owe it to the original craftsmen to make a bit more effort if we’re going to make these reconstructions.
Lawrence Payne