Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nydam and Illerup Adal photos
I finally managed to pay visits to the Moesgaard and Schloss Gotorf museums in early December (as well as the Hedeby Viking Museum...I'm very lucky to have a partner who's interests coincide with my own..especially as I use the excuse that it's her birthday to book these long weekends of museum hopping trips every year).

Well worth a visit, both of them, even if it meant driving through blizzards and snowdrifts to get there.
Photobucket pages are here:-

http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263...%20Museum/

http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263...%20Museum/
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks for posting those, Matt.

I would also add a link with some other pictures and interesting information about the Illerup Adal hoard.
www.illerup.dk
ALA I BATAVORUM
Matt, thanks for posting these photos. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the Damendorf trousers before, just pattern drawings from the web. Your pics are very helpful.

Adam
Adam Oswalt

[url:30lkyohr]http://www.harja150ad.livejournal.com[/url]
So many pictures! Thank you very much. These places are surely on my list to visit someday Smile
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Amazing collection, and great photos! Thanks Matt!
What period is the helmet? Second or third century?
And was it found there as well?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Illerup Adal finds are third century Byron. I'm not sure about the Nydam, though, but I thought them to be third century.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Amazing collection, and great photos! Thanks Matt!
What period is the helmet? Second or third century?
And was it found there as well?

The helmet was found in pieces in the Thorsberg bog, no iron left. The picture displays a copy, since the original pieces are not on display.
Most likely first half of the third century, i would say
regards
noxia /Suzi
I'm working on a spearhead for a 1st cen AD Germanic impression. Would it be accurate to base it on some of the spearheads found in Illerup Adal?
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
Quote:I'm working on a spearhead for a 1st cen AD Germanic impression. Would it be accurate to base it on some of the spearheads found in Illerup Adal?

Probably not, as the Illerup finds certainly are from a later period. Which part of 'Germania' would you base your expression in? Although the shape in general stays the same over a longer period, it would always be nicer to find one that fit into your period and area of interest.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I am trying to represent the Cherusci in the 1st cen. AD. I recently started a topic on 1st cen Germanic swords, and it seems weaponry changed a lot during the 1st cen. AD. However, the spearheads seem to remain the same. I was hoping to base my spearhead on the finds in Illerup Adal because of the number of spear heads as well as the condition of them. There are spearheads from earlier Germanic graves elsewhere, but I don't think they're in as good condition as the Illerup ones. Also, the Illerup Adal find is only about 200 years after my time at the most.
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
'only 200 years after my period'

Are you serious about that statement? 200 years can make a huge difference! And for spearheads, I think you can find excellent examples better for your period of interest. But as I said, a spearhead from Illerup Adal can do the job as good, but it's not as nice as a better one Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjenus wrote:-
Quote:Illerup Adal finds are third century Byron. I'm not sure about the Nydam, though, but I thought them to be third century.

The Nydam ship burial consisted of four ships, two small, (too damaged to be reconstructed) and two large. Unusually it contained among its contents no less than 106 swords, 93 of which were 'pattern welded', 552 spear heads, and many arrow-heads. The weapons are dated 200-350 AD, and the find, like other mass finds, may well represent a large defeated raiding party, whose gear was dedicated to the "Local Gods".
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff