Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Osprey publication on the Varus battle
Osprey have published a new title on the Varus battle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/18460...oks&sr=1-1
Hopefully it will compliment the Ancient Warfare Magazine special edition.
best
Dave
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
are there any previews of the book out yet?
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
Well. ... I got the book a few days ago. I flipped through the pages, looked at the pictures and read a good part of it.

I wish I could say it in a more subtle way, but the content of the book really does not reflect the current state of research. For my taste the book is too speculative and too much riddled with inaccuracies and blatant errors.

The author gives for example a detailed day by day account of the battle despite the fact that no reliable ancient sources about the event exist. The various reports of Roman historians are highly contradictive and also written many years after the occurrence. The colour plates are admirable and give a very good general impression of the battle but unfortunately show too many inaccuracies when it comes to details.
Andreas Strassmeir
Groan..I ordered it yesterday..oh well live and learn
best
Dave
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Hi Dave,
after taking a first look at the book I thought for a moment about taking it back and getting a refund but then I decided to keep it. The artwork is very nice and the “reconstruction” of the events is worth reading, as long as you keep in mind that it is fictitious. I did also enjoy Tony Clunn’s narrative of the battle. But Tony made it very clear that his story is a not more than a possible scenario that could have happened.

Talking about errors and inaccuracies, let me give you just one example: The author features altogether 5 Roman helmets (original finds) for the Varus-army in his book. Out of the 5 helmets 3 are clearly post-Augustan:
Beside the 2 correct Hagenau/Haltern (Coolus Type D) helmts he presents a “Roman auxiliary cavalryman’s helmet early 1st cent. AD” which is the Weiler/Koblenz-Bubenheim (Auxiliary-Cavalry Type A) helmet from Xanten-Wardt, dated 40/50 AD.
Another helmet is described as “a bronze infantryman’s helmet produced en masse for newly raised auxiliaries” which is in fact a Hagenau/Weisenau-hybrid (Coolus Type I) helmet from Cologne-Mühlheim, mid to 3rd Quarter 1st cent. AD.
But the best one: “Roman Imperial-Gallic-type helmet, early to mid 1st cent. AD” which is actually the Imperial-Italic Type G helmet from Hebron, Israel dated to the late 1st /early 2nd cent. AD.
Needles to mention that those helmets are all to find in the colour plates, too!

Well, just have a look at the book after you got it and let us know what you think, maybe I’m just a little bit too harsh in my criticism. I still think that the (entertainment-) value for money is ok regarding this book.

Andy
Andreas Strassmeir
Hi Andy

After I read your initial review,Tony Clunn's book also came to my mind and I thought oh well I have a long train journey ahead in two days,and at least it will pass an hour or two,I am not that well informed about Roman helm types so those errors would have passed me by but it will still be a welcome distraction from a tedious eight hour ride!

best wishes
Dave
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas