Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attic Helmets in Classical-Hellenistic Greece
Hello, I was curious to know if anybody knew of any examples of Attic helmets complete with brow plates from the classical era or hellenistic age? I have seen many examples of attic helmets without brow plates, that resemble more of chalcidian helms without their nasal guards, but I have yet to ever see one with the infamous brow plate. Though they are depicted often in Greek/Mediterranean art of the period, I remember seeing one on a vase that showed the warrior with what looks like scales on the bowl of the helm and his cheek guards are pushed upwards. Some of the coins of the Diadochi also show more examples. If anybody knows of any I would greatly appreciate it.
Dennis Flynn
An actual example of such a brow-plate, with an attached ear-guard ( but without a helmet, unfortunately! ) is shown on p.89 of H.Russell-Robinson's "The Armour of Imperial Rome".
It is dated 1C AD and was found at Nijmegen. R-R assumed it was from a cavalry helmet, but if so, whether it was for 'field' use or a 'sports' helmet is undetermined.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thanks for your response but I was looking for Greek examples from classical era greece or even the hellenistic era, but not Roman or Italian examples. I do appreciate it though. I should probably be more specific in future postings, sorry 'bout that.
Dennis Flynn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Composite (?) attic helmets with scales and hair locks Idomeneas 5 1,863 07-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Chariots in classical Greece Pericles of Rhodes 11 2,649 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Feathers on Hellenistic Helmets Strategos 4 2,815 05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr