Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
documentary Ceasar on Italian TV, faces of friends
Ciao guys<br>
last night there was a history program on Italian TV (canale 7) on Ceasar. The anchor man was Manfredi, an Italian historian and novelist (e.g. the novel Alexandros).<br>
<br>
The program discussed Ceasar's assassination and one of the guests advanced a few interesting hypothesis. The main one was that Ceasar might have had a variety of epilepsy that would have worsed with age to the point of not being able to control himslef. So, Ceasar, that built his whole career on IMAGE, might have deliberately provoked the group into killing him. He dismissed his body guards and with all the people that loved him we should be sure Ceasar knew about the plot.<br>
<br>
Now that is not to say that it was a lucid suicide. But he must have thought that it would have been the best way to go also because it would have ensured him eternal fame (what a gambler!). The anchor man stresses that Ceasar was actually massing troops for Parthian war so he also had real future plans. But, I feel that in his conditions it is quite concievable that he swayed back and forth from the realization of his declining body. Another interesting point made was that it seems unlikely that more than 10 people actually did the stabbing (no room!). The rest probably held back the other senators.<br>
<br>
Anyway I like the program very much although they could have avoided a couple of funny scenes of the modern day investigator photographing 2000 year old ruins as if the photo could have had any use what-so-ever.<br>
<br>
On the final side the program made a brief comment on Ceasar's army and the anchor man (Manfredi) walked thru the Pretorian group of Rome. I recognized their banner and then my friend Fabio "Pictor", the centurion. Their armor is not from Ceasar's time but they really did look great! <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ceasar on Italian TV Goffredo 3 1,065 09-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Last Post: NightHunter24