Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens - Ancient Agora: Altar of 12 Gods
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am not a person who is fond of "crusading" or agitation but I feel the following is serious:

"The rectangular Altar of the Twelve gods, enclosed in a peribolos wall (a wall that enclosed sacred areas), is near the north end of the Ancient Agora. It was regarded as the central point of Athens, and distances from the city were measured from here.
The original altar was built in 522 BC by Peisistratos and it was rebuilt in 425 BC to repair damage suffered in the Persian invasion of 480 BC. The altar was used as a central point for measuring road distances. From the 5th century BC, the altar became associated with the Goddess of Pity, probably because the enclosed area served as a place of asylum.
The remains suffered damage during the construction of the Piraeus railroad, and only one corner of the original structure now survives. "

The Greek government is planning to re-burry the site. But even under the hardshisps of our time there are those of us who believe that civilization and culture make us differ from animals.
Please if you like aid the salvation of a historical monument take the time to visit the following link:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/201/help-...e-12-gods/

Kind regards
Stefanos

P.S I ask the admins to put this post where they feel is more appropriate.
Done, with pleasure Big Grin
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Done, with pleasure Big Grin

+1 Confusedmile:

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Thank you. I signed it.Big Grin

ebuseyf

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AGORA MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 21 3,754 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS