Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
I'll give the marketers full marks and someone will buy the stuff...sadly...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Notice that they say "screen-accurate," not "historically accurate." They're honest about that, anyway.
Quote:Notice that they say "screen-accurate," not "historically accurate." They're honest about that, anyway.

They'd have to be, with this leather seggie floating, in a truly Pythonesque way, amidst sunlit clouds; all it lacks is a heavenly choir!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
What craftsmanship, what imagination! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:What craftsmanship, what imagination! :wink:

In latin: "O Tempora O Mores!" Confusedhock:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Have any of you read the rest of the Aquila saga by Rosemary Sutcliff? The trilogy is fantastic, albeit I must agree dated! I am finished with my sequel to FIRST SPEAR Rudimenta and sent out queries to two different agencies. Manda....got any recommendations?
Check out my FIRST SPEAR Rudimenta, 2009 Xlibris Press (or Amazon, BaM and B+N) first in a series based on the life/lives of the Centurions Caesar mentions in his Commentaries: Gaius Crastinus, Lucius Vorenus, Titus Pullo and Septimus Publius Bacculus during their initial training and service as 'Miles'. I have just finished the sequel: FIRST SPEAR Pro Denuo and have started FIRST SPEAR Acies Triplex but am looking for a new agent. Meanwhile I am headed to Barnes and Noble to pick up yours! I enjoyed the Sutcliff books much more than the movie but you are correct, she is terribly dated. My Legioaries are Spanish so they don't speak with a British accent as everyone likes to make them do! LOL!
Attached is the Prologue for FSPD.
To Manda Scott: Check out my FIRST SPEAR Rudimenta, 2009 Xlibris Press (or Amazon, BaM and B+N) first in a series based on the life/lives of the Centurions Caesar mentions in his Commentaries: Gaius Crastinus, Lucius Vorenus, Titus Pullo and Septimus Publius Bacculus during their initial training and service as 'Miles'. I have just finished the sequel: FIRST SPEAR Pro Denuo and have started FIRST SPEAR Acies Triplex but am looking for a new agent. Meanwhile I am headed to Barnes and Noble to pick up yours! I enjoyed the Sutcliff books much more than the movie but you are correct, she is terribly dated. My Legioaries are Spanish so they don't speak with a British accent as everyone likes to make them do! LOL!
Attached is the Prologue for FSPD.
To Manda Scott: Check out my FIRST SPEAR Rudimenta, 2009 Xlibris Press (or Amazon, BaM and B+N) first in a series based on the life/lives of the Centurions Caesar mentions in his Commentaries: Gaius Crastinus, Lucius Vorenus, Titus Pullo and Septimus Publius Bacculus during their initial training and service as 'Miles'. I have just finished the sequel: FIRST SPEAR Pro Denuo and have started FIRST SPEAR Acies Triplex but am looking for a new agent. Meanwhile I am headed to Barnes and Noble to pick up yours! I enjoyed the Sutcliff books much more than the movie but you are correct, she is terribly dated. My Legioaries are Spanish so they don't speak with a British accent as everyone likes to make them do! LOL!
Attached is the Prologue for FSPD, if I can get this stupid thing to work!
Quote: I enjoyed the Sutcliff books much more than the movie but you are correct, she is terribly dated. My Legioaries are Spanish so they don't speak with a British accent as everyone likes to make them do!
It's questionable whether the 9th still received all of its recruits from Hispania by that time, so a 'British accent' may not be very wrong (an American accent, however...). I agree that Sutcliff is dated (terribly???) in some areas (and some sites she never visited due to her disability), but she remains unsurpassed in storyline, characters and atmosphere.

Quote:Attached is the Prologue for FSPD, if I can get this stupid thing to work!
Apparently you failed, for it did not appear (I had to delete 2 copies of this post though). :wink:
Why not send us a link instead?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
My apologies for not getting back with you sooner. Not sure how I would send it as a link. I am attempting to submit it as an attachment again.
My guys don't speak with an American accent either! LOL
To Vortigern Studies....no joy once again, I will get a link going over the weekend get it to you. I would put it here but too long! Email me if you want, bnielsen51yahoo.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review: The Silver Branch by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 5 3,094 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Last Post: bruce ross morgan
  Eagle of the Ninth on the Radio mcbishop 3 1,622 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Review: The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 4 2,229 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat