Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears used to Deflect missiles
In a number of textbooks and online sources I've seen it repeatedly claimed that in a phalanx the rear spears were held up at 45 degree angles in order to protect from missiles. Are there any historical sources that actually back up this theory?
How would it even work, are they supposed to be beating away javelins with their pikes?
Henry O.
Polybius, in an (in)famous passage, describes the sixteen deep Macedonian phalanx (18.30.1-4):

Quote:With this point in our minds, it will not be difficult to imagine what the appearance and strength of the whole phalanx is likely to be, when, with lowered sarissae, it advances to the charge sixteen deep. Of these sixteen ranks, all above the fifth are unable to reach with their sarissae far enough to take actual part in the fighting. They, therefore, do not lower them, but hold them with the points inclined upwards over the shoulders of the ranks in front of them, to shield the heads of the whole phalanx; for the sarissae are so closely serried, that they repel missiles which have carried over the front ranks and might fall upon the heads of those in the rear. These rear ranks, however, during an advance, press forward those in front by the weight of their bodies; and thus make the charge very forcible, and at the same time render it impossible for the front ranks to face about.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
This probably worked. If you've ever tried to shoot an arrow or bullet through a dense stand of brush, much of it smaller in diameter than a sarissa, you know how difficult it can be.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
The advocate of antimissile ability of the denbce pike formation is Polybious and being a military man of the era he probaly had a better idea that allo f ua on the subject.
Kind regards
Well, I suppose it would be relatively easy to test; grab a long pole, have someone you trust throw missiles over your head to see if you can hit them.:wink:
Henry O.
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but isn't the javelin then going to fall among the phalanx anyway, with a good chance of landing point-down?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Forgive me if I'm missing something, but isn't the javelin then going to fall among the phalanx anyway, with a good chance of landing point-down?

I think the point is that the forward momentum is lessened by striking or deflecting off a spearshaft; since most missiles were probably fired in such a way as to obtain the greatest possibility of wounding or killing the enemy, by deflecting or slowing them, even if they could still fall among the ranks and cause damage, the phalanx is probably reducing the chance of being wounded or killed.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Forgive me if I'm missing something, but isn't the javelin then going to fall among the phalanx anyway, with a good chance of landing point-down

When I was younger I threw the javelin in competition. You'd be suprised how hard it is to get it to fall point down. In order to carry far, it should not be that point heavy, so upon hitting a shaft and losing momentum it probably does not fall point down.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"