Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contacting the Moderator Team
I joined RAT a few days ago but had difficulty in finding information that I wanted (I still do). I looked in the Rules and saw in the final paragraph that I could contact one of the Moderator Team. I sent two PMs to Jasper Oorthuys but got no reply. I was a little surprised but assumed that he was too busy to respond immediately. I then had occasion to send him a third PM but this time, after sending it, I clicked on his name. A note came up that his account was barred. Presumably, this was to prevent his becoming overwhelmed by PMs from all and sundry, which I can well understand. However, there is not much point in the Rules advising us to contact the Moderator Team when in difficulties, if they do not explain the best way of doing this and warn us that the most obvious method, by PM, is not allowed.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Why dont you just post your question in the section you are interested in ?

There are enough Veterans on here who could point you in any direction.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi Renatus,

HJ is right, ask for any info in a relevant thread. And please do not complain about 'contacting the moderaors' when you did not even try any of the regular mods! Jasper is the administrator and yes, he can be busy sometimes.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It is quite possible (likely? Wink ) I'm missing something obvious, but I have no idea where to find a list of moderators. I have a fuzzy memory of seeing one somewhere, but now I can't find it. If one follows the "moderators" link in the "rules" tab above, it seems to just direct back to the main index page.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I guess this is the case because it are 'old' links, following the system of the former RAT-system. This can be solved very easily by one of the moderators/administrators.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Hi Renatus,

HJ is right, ask for any info in a relevant thread. And please do not complain about 'contacting the moderaors' when you did not even try any of the regular mods! Jasper is the administrator and yes, he can be busy sometimes.

You may have been a member for a long time and know the ropes. I am a newcomer and followed the Rules. Silly me!

Thanks for the friendly welcome, by the way.
Michael King Macdona

Michael,

As a new member, you may or may not be aware that we (and by we, I mean Jasper) shifted ALL of RAT over to a new server very recently and put it in the new format that you see here presently. Unfortunately the old and the new do not mesh perfectly, so there are a lot of loose ends that we are trying to clean up and get fixed....but this takes time. You are correct, we do need to get updated information our moderator team placed publicly for incidences like this one...and we are working on it. What information is it that you are looking for?

Cheers,
Adam
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
Quote:You may have been a member for a long time and know the ropes. I am a newcomer and followed the Rules. Silly me!
I did not realise that - some new member lurk for years until they decide to join.
But you're right, the usual list of mods seems to have vanished.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Renatus post=285077 Wrote:You may have been a member for a long time and know the ropes. I am a newcomer and followed the Rules. Silly me!
I did not realise that - some new member lurk for years until they decide to join.
But you're right, the usual list of mods seems to have vanished.

Thanks for that. I must confess that your initial response made me wonder whether this was a forum I wanted to belong to and my next question was going to be, How do I get out? However, I feel better about it now.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:Michael,

As a new member, you may or may not be aware that we (and by we, I mean Jasper) shifted ALL of RAT over to a new server very recently and put it in the new format that you see here presently. Unfortunately the old and the new do not mesh perfectly, so there are a lot of loose ends that we are trying to clean up and get fixed....but this takes time. You are correct, we do need to get updated information our moderator team placed publicly for incidences like this one...and we are working on it. What information is it that you are looking for?

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the explanation. I seem to have joined at the wrong time. It can be bad enough getting to grips with the vagaries of an unfamiliar forum at the best of times; if that forum has undergone a major overhaul and the new system has not bedded in yet, the problem is compounded.

I tried to raise two queries with Jasper but, fortunately, have been able to sort them out for myself (my third message was to tell him this). One was quite easy, although I was nervous about it and wanted reassurance that I was doing the right thing. The other took a bit of fiddling about but I got there in the end. I did not realise that I had two incompatible Profiles. Obviously, I would not have troubled him, if I had known that I could deal with the problems unaided.

What I would like to have now (not important enough to raise with Jasper) are explanations of the ranking system and also of how the laudes system works. Perhaps other members can help me on these points. A more technical issue is the fact that, although I ask to be remembered each time I log in, I very rarely am and most times I have to enter my user name and password. It is no great hardship but is this supposed to happen? Elsewhere, I am recognised as soon as I enter the site.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael King Macdona

Quote:What I would like to have now (not important enough to raise with Jasper) are explanations of the ranking system and also of how the laudes system works.

You get a new rank when you have contributed a certain number of posts. If you've reached the higher ranks, you can also request a 'custom' and unique rank. We had a laudes system on the old board, but that is disabled. You can now 'thank' for an individual post on the bottom of that particular reply. We also had medals and awards. Unfortunatelly the medal system wasn't much used lately and I'm not sure if the medals are already transferred from the old board and if they going to be, although I hope so.

Quote:A more technical issue is the fact that, although I ask to be remembered each time I log in, I very rarely am and most times I have to enter my user name and password. It is no great hardship but is this supposed to happen? Elsewhere, I am recognised as soon as I enter the site.

This shouldn't be the case. Don't know what might cause this problem, though.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Renatus post=285122 Wrote:What I would like to have now (not important enough to raise with Jasper) are explanations of the ranking system and also of how the laudes system works.

You get a new rank when you have contributed a certain number of posts. If you've reached the higher ranks, you can also request a 'custom' and unique rank. We had a laudes system on the old board, but that is disabled. You can now 'thank' for an individual post on the bottom of that particular reply. We also had medals and awards. Unfortunatelly the medal system wasn't much used lately and I'm not sure if the medals are already transferred from the old board and if they going to be, although I hope so.

Quote:A more technical issue is the fact that, although I ask to be remembered each time I log in, I very rarely am and most times I have to enter my user name and password. It is no great hardship but is this supposed to happen? Elsewhere, I am recognised as soon as I enter the site.

Thanks. That's very helpful. Do you know if there is anywhere where these things are explained in detail, e.g., how many posts are required per rank, etc.? So far as "Thank Yous" are concerned, I assume that the colour of the wreaths in our titles changes according to the number of Thank Yous we receive.

This shouldn't be the case. Don't know what might cause this problem, though.
Michael King Macdona

I have to be honest here, personally i think you are worrying in vain about non important issues and filling a thread with them which though not that much, uses bandwith.

It would be good if you would look for the beginner's section and read the entire RULES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS section which shows up when you click on the Index tab above.

When you have read all those postings, you will know a lot more, and will be able to start asking valid and even maybe interesting questions in the separate forum sections on ancient Greece and Rome.

I for one vote for this thread to be locked.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:I have to be honest here, personally i think you are worrying in vain about non important issues and filling a thread with them which though not that much, uses bandwith.

It would be good if you would look for the beginner's section and read the entire RULES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS section which shows up when you click on the Index tab above.

When you have read all those postings, you will know a lot more, and will be able to start asking valid and even maybe interesting questions in the separate forum sections on ancient Greece and Rome.

I for one vote for this thread to be locked.

M.VIB.M.

What a pleasure it is to find a long-serving member of this forum so kind and considerate to a newcomer, so willing to share his experience, so tolerant of the difficulties of one struggling to get to grips with the intricacies of an unfamiliar site. Oh how I wish that there were more of you so sympathetic to my concerns.

Needless to say, the advice that you give is completely useless. There is, as you failed to mention, a topic in this category entitled "New Recruits" but, if you think that I am going to plough through 2349 posts on 118 pages, most of them probably out-of-date because of the new system, you can forget it. Life is too short for that sort of thing.

If you are typical of the sort of person that I am likely to encounter in this forum, this is not the place for me. I am used to some courtesy. So, I throw out the challenge - am I welcome or am I not? It is your choice. I believe that I have something to offer: after all, I have been a student of the Roman army for over 40 years. I was probably studying the subject when you were still in short trousers. However, it is no skin off my nose whether I make my contribution here or elsewhere. My experience of this forum so far has not been a happy one but I am prepared to give it a go. Are others prepared to encourage me?
Michael King Macdona

I'm very sorry for your first impressions on RAT. I find this place actually to be one of the nicest forums I am (or have been) a member of. Most of the members on here are helpful and very willing to share their knowledge. So I really hope you to stay and enjoy reading and contributing to topics. Smile

And about M.VIB.M. I think he meant the relevant topics in that section which handles the rating system. So there you would have been able to find out that the wreaths are coloured as a visual addition to your rank. The 'Thank you' system is totally independent of that as it has been introduced by the recent upgrade of forum software. Of course there is no need (and no logic) in back-reading the 'introduce yourself' topic. You can introduce yourself there, but then start reading in all other fora, as they are more interesting and way more worth to spent your valuable time on.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Registering / contacting an admin Praefectusclassis 21 20,288 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis