Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Paint
Hi All,

Here is a question about Roman paints. Did the Romans ever use oil-based paints(like enamels)? I have heard from reenactors that the preferred paints fro decorating shields and the like are casein paints. Is this all we have ever found archaeologically? With all the paintings uncovered at Pompeii and Herculaneum, I wondered if any of them were done with oils or enamels? Or paited statuary for that matter...

Any "Roman art" gurus out there care to chime in?
MARCVS VELIVS AVITVS (Reid Neilsen)
LEGIO VII GEMINA FELIX
"SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERUDITIONIS HABES"

http://www.whitemountainforge.com
I'm not an expert on Roman painting (more's the pity) but my understanding is that oil paints were not invented in Europe until the early 15th century (there are even stories about renaissance artists being whacked to prevent them leaking the secret to competitors).

The paintings found at Pompeii/Herculaneum are all frescos which can only be done using water based paints directly onto wet plaster. I believe that the evidence on painted statuary is in the form of staining only, which precludes a forensic analysis of the paint used.

There is a large corpus of paintings from Egypt from the late 1st to 4th centuries which are done in encaustic (pigment in hot beeswax), egg tempera (pigment in egg yolks) and [I.I.R.C.] casein (pigment in milk protein).

The painted shields found at Dura Europos when analysed were reported to have used at least three different media; encaustic painted directly onto a skin facing, and water-based or egg tempera or casein onto thin parchment or a layer of gesso (made from lime and plaster). I don't know why casein is so preferred by re-enactors. Perhaps it's due to durability and ease of use while retaining some authenticity? I hope someone will come on and enlighten us further.
Hello, my name is Harry.
Well, the first reference I heard about the Dura Europas shields was from Holger Ratsdorf, and he said they were all done with casein! Pretty sure that's not entirely right, now, but I don't remember what the book on the Dura finds said on the subject. (I remember the varying facings/coverings, but nothing about the paint!) We've stuck with casein mostly because it's available and does not require learning an entirely new form of art, like encaustic. And yes, it beat latex enamels!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I got the information about the paint on the Dura shields from Simon James' 1990 thesis "The arms and armour from Dura Europos", which I got from here for free.
Hello, my name is Harry.
Harry,

When I went to the website that you suggested, and put in the title of the paper, it took me to another webpage that says that I have to pay for the thesis. There is no icon which reads "Download". Then there are login or register directions as well.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hi Paolo, when I went onto the page I registered and then put in an order (had to search for the item again) When I clicked on the pricing button it's for free as a download (you can get the information in CD or printed form as well, which you have to pay for).

Sion
Sion McElveen
Yes, you have to register. I should have mentioned that. Sorry. It's well worth it though, even if all you want is the Dura Europos thesis. There are lots of other interesting papers available free from there too.
Hello, my name is Harry.
Oil paints on basis of linssed oil were known in Antiquity, but, as far as we know currently, not used widely. The Abegg-Foundation has later Roman textiles which were painted with oil paint, and there is evidence for Greek Ships to have been painted with oil paints as well, cannot recall the source, though, currently.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.