Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Alanic Sword Reproduction
Below are a couple of prototype reproductions of the early Alanic/Roxolanic sword mentioned by Tacitus. He was referencing an ice battle on the Danube in which the Roxolani lost, their swords "long and two handed." His description matches the swords I found illustrated on the Orlat Battle Plaque. They were either Chinese-built or Chinese-influenced. Here is the sword as it shows on the belt plaque:

[attachment=401]wusuncavalrysword010.JPG[/attachment]

The scabbard slide was an Altai Saka invention, then borrowed by the Chinese sometime between the 5th to 3rd century BC. I used a slide almost identical to the one pictured in the Ospray book, The Sarmatians. It carries three small jade stones:

[attachment=402]wusuncavalrysword012.JPG[/attachment]

The scabbards and grips of the two swords are ebony wrapped with lacquer-impregnated cotton, dyed natural brown. The grip check follows the Orlof plaque in design, a variation that first shows on bronze Chinese swords and then continues through the Han Dynasty and into the Three Kingdoms period. I gave it four Indic garnets:

[attachment=403]wusuncavalrysword013.JPG[/attachment]

The disk pommels differ on the two prototypes, one a medium jade with smaller jades in a "wheel" pattern, and the second a pinned 30mm stone. The sword blades are 22" carbon steel and 26" folded steel, both charcoal forged. After experimenting with both lengths, I'll probably go with a 24" blade on the final sword.

The "Wusun Cavalry Sword" has been my 2010 project, and I thank Kane Yang and the Longquan forge for making the blades and raw fittings. The swords were finished in my shop. The finished model will have a 40mm pinned jade on the pommel.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Very nice. What does the blade look like?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Very nice ! i like the Chinese influenced crossbar !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hello Ron and Marcus,

The Chinese-influenced crossbar or grip check is one of the big bones of contention on the Orlat battle plaque, aka the other RAT thread. I studied the artwork closely and identified it as popular between the Chinese Warring States period and the end of the Han Dynasty. It would match the Alanic/Chinese checks found in the Crimea and Kuban, so that's why I used it.

The limits of illustrating a post prohibited me to show the blade. It's a form close to the original "clamshell" battle blades popular on Han swords. I used an "eight-sided" blade as found on the museum sword of Emperor Wu Di:
[attachment=407]WSsword.6.JPG[/attachment]
The photo clearly shows how thick this blade is. It's massive. And here is a view of the tip, where you can see the layers of folded steel.
[attachment=408]wusuncavalrysword017.JPG[/attachment]

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Oh!
By the way, here are photos of the grips and pommels. I cracked the pinned-stone on the shorter grip, but the stone doesn't fall out. This is the sword I wear for my Alanic impression.:grin:
[attachment=508]wusuncavalrysword016.JPG[/attachment]

Maybe I slammed someone over the head with it during a battle I no longer remember.Wink
[attachment=509]wusuncavalrysword015.JPG[/attachment]
After all, why should I remember! I'm an old fart!:lol:

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

That is a very nice blade! Can I ask who made it?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That is a very nice blade! Can I ask who made it?

Hello, Byron

The 8-sided blade, or modified "clamshell" is available from several forges in Longquan, China. I would rather not mention the smiths who made my folded blades, since these are prototypes for a yet-to-be finished product. When I received the blades, they still smelled of charcoal. That was a refreshing and heavenly aroma in a world dominated by gas-burning forges. The blades are tempered exactly as they were 2,000 years ago. For an additional fee (not cheap), you can get a clay-tempered blade. These are forged at night so the blade-smith can see the correct color as he removes it from the fire.:grin:

These blades are about the same length as a Roman spatha, but they are narrower and thicker. Also far sharper than blades made in India. Indian blades made for reenactors are "tempered" in electic ovens, and half of them are not even straight. The Longquan blades also balance far better than a standard Indian-made spatha, which to me handles like a dead dog.:roll:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,315 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword Harjaz 32 13,593 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
  South Cave Sword reproduction Ingvar Sigurdson 12 4,445 05-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Kolba