Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge B segmentata
I'm looking for input on the placement of the two front hooks and eyes . I've been following Legio XX web site instructions and have all the fittings complete. I have seen quite a few pictures on the web of Corbridge B recreations. On some I note the girdle section hangs too low and leaves a gap between shoulder and girdle pieces . Would it be feasible to have the eyes set into the front plates as they do in the rear? The wikipedia photo shows this set up and seems to have solved the problem. I understand wiki is not a reliable source but if it fixes the problem, so be it.
Douglas
Quote:I'm looking for input on the placement of the two front hooks and eyes . I've been following Legio XX web site instructions and have all the fittings complete. I have seen quite a few pictures on the web of Corbridge B recreations. On some I note the girdle section hangs too low and leaves a gap between shoulder and girdle pieces . Would it be feasible to have the eyes set into the front plates as they do in the rear? The wikipedia photo shows this set up and seems to have solved the problem.

I think the key problem is the placing of the vertical fasteners on the girth hoops, rather than the holes in the shoulder sections. Place them lower and the gap disappears. We have only two shoulder sets from Corbridge (a left - the type B - and a right - type C) and cannot even be sure that they are two different types or just two ill-matched halves of the same set.

Quote:I understand wiki is not a reliable source

On anything to do with the Roman army, that is putting it mildly; I think it works along the same lines as keyboard-equipped monkeys and Shakespeare ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The Cor B I just made also has this problem as do many other reconstructions. Mike, what you recommend is difficult to do, given that the bottom hole on the hook where the rivet goes, is shared by the bottom hole of the lacing loop. There simply isn't a lot of leeway there to move it around, and I don't think there is enough to close that gap.

Legion: TBD
Douglas.

I think Mike is correct about the vertical fasteners to solve the gap problem for you I have made many segmentata, and have found that by putting things together and saying OK I can cheat just a bit by moving this or that rivet a quarter of an inch this or that way gaps can be dealt with.
Brian Stobbs
There is also the thing about this armour when it comes to chest size, if your making it for a 40 inch chest make it 41 for when anyone is walking or marching there is expansion of the chest and this way it makes for comfort.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks for the input guys. I have plenty of material left over and if I don't like the fit I can certainly alter the parts and measurements. I thought recessing the eyes up into the breast plates might also give the armor more stability. This is my first attempt at armoring so any info is helpful. Lots of trial and error but mostly successes. Thanks.
Douglas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge B Segmentata Hinge drawing PDF Fabricius Carbo 7 2,341 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Corbridge B Lorica Segmentata Gaius Colletti 5 2,371 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  Corbridge type Segmentata hinges cast or folded sheet? Anonymous 8 3,231 03-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Anonymous