Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for good literature on the Spartan Hoplite
Hello all,

I am looking for some good titles on the Spartan army and its warfare for a paper i have to write.

Especially Academic literature, on the army itself as well on its strategies.

The Leiden Univ Library is a little bit empty concerning the pure military side of
Sparta.

Hopefully you have some titles you can post.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The Spartan Army by Lazenby is probably the best choice, if you can find it.

The Spartans by Paul Cartledge also may be of some help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartan-Army-J-F...922&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartans-Warrior...618&sr=1-2

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
John Lazenby's book on the Spartan Army is about to be re-published (you can pre-order it from Amazon...I just have as someone "borrowed" my old copy and never returned it) and I can't really think of another book which can compare.

Forrest's book on the History of Sparta has a fairly good chapter on the Lykourgan reforms but tends to concentrate on the city state and not the army per se.

Edit: Oops...a cross post! Here's the link to pre-order

http://tinyurl.com/5rq9np9
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Anyone read Rusch's book: Sparta at war?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Anyone read Rusch's book: Sparta at war?

Sounds interesting, according to Amazon it will not be released until May.

http://www.amazon.com/SPARTA-AT-WAR-Stra...781&sr=1-1

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I have pre-ordered Lazenby's book from amazon.co.uk. I will add this book by Rusch to the list I think. A pity it stops at 362BC. It would have been nice if he had continued on down to 192BC and the downfall of Nabis. Admittedly these later sections would be a bit thin, but should be covered IMHO. The efforts of Agis III, Areos I and Kleomenes III are all worth exploring in the bigger picture.

In response to the thread originator (M.VIB.M) I would add Nick Sekunda's book for Osprey The Spartan Army. I'm not a huge fan of NS but the book is worth reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Army-Elite...611&sr=1-8
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
The Spartan Armyby J F Lazenby will be reprinted by Pen & Sword this year, but, regardless of whatever Amazon says, it won't be until the autumn.

Someone mentioned Cleomenes III - we also have Sparta's Last Stand: Cleomenes III and the Road to Sellasia by Dr Alex Dimond in the pipeline, but you will have to wait until May 2012 for that. And we will be publishing at least 2 other books on Spartan warfare in 2012, but I will share more about those nearer the time.

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (ancient warfare)
Pen & Sword Books
Quote:The Spartan Armyby J F Lazenby will be reprinted by Pen & Sword this year, but, regardless of whatever Amazon says, it won't be until the autumn.

Someone mentioned Cleomenes III - we also have Sparta's Last Stand: Cleomenes III and the Road to Sellasia by Dr Alex Dimond in the pipeline, but you will have to wait until May 2012 for that. And we will be publishing at least 2 other books on Spartan warfare in 2012, but I will share more about those nearer the time.

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books

Very much looking forward to this! 8)

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Thanx for the titles !! Smile

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The Spartan Armyby J F Lazenby will be reprinted by Pen & Sword this year, but, regardless of whatever Amazon says, it won't be until the autumn.

Thank you, Phil!

Very much looking forward to these new titles, particularly Sparta's Last Stand. Will these books be available in the US?
Quote:
philsidnell post=286182 Wrote:The Spartan Armyby J F Lazenby will be reprinted by Pen & Sword this year, but, regardless of whatever Amazon says, it won't be until the autumn.

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books

Very much looking forward to this! 8)

Me too 8) thanks for the lowdown Phil Big Grin Despite the delay/amazon jumping the gun, it will be really good to see Lazenby's book back in print. It is a pretty rare item these days and copies change hands for silly money. Can you give us any further information on it? Will it be augmented (by anybody else/editor) compared to the original? Will it be illustrated?

I wasn't aware of the impending Kleomenes book. That really is good news. I have long held the view that K3 (and his immediate predecessor in the reform stakes, Agis IV) have been unfairly neglected. K3 was probably/certainly the last great Spartan warrior king. Hopefully it will arrive in time for me to read it before the end of the world - which if memory serves is December 23rd 2012. So please don't release it for the Christmas market next year! :lol:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Thanks for the info Phil but "pooh" to Amazon for building up my expectations...rats!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,819 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite