Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Equipment Belt & Attachments
Ancient depictions of how the akinakes (or sword) was actually worn are nebulous. Reliefs and funery-stones usually show a "simplified" mode, like a single strap wrapped around the leg close to the knee:
[attachment=515]akinakesequipmentbelt002.JPG[/attachment]

Surprisingly, modern artists like Angus McBride and Christa Hook aren't much help either. They avoid where the straps are with diligent consistancy. First I tried carrying the akinakes from an inch-wide strap affixed to my belt, two sets of ties around my leg as in the painting of the Sarmatian woman-warrior. It was uncomfortable to my gonads!

Then I tried running the two top straps right up to belt. Comfortable, secure, and easy to withdraw the akinakes. If you're thinking of a similar kit, this works perfect. Here are the various components: belt, combo stiffeners and attachers, holster, and ties.
[attachment=516]akinakesequipmentbelt005.JPG[/attachment]

My friend Tigger made the belt, Raymond's Quiet Press made the buckle and stiffeners, and I added the jade stones and put it together:
[attachment=517]akinakesequipmentbelt004.JPG[/attachment]

The last part was the hardest-- how was a sword carried when using the eastern scabbard slide?:roll: Every available picture, both ancient and modern, showed an auxilliary belt passing through the slide at an angle. The sword, if worn in this fashion, would flop around like crazy, maybe injuring you, your horse, or a close friend. So, I discovered a doubled pass-through of the strap allowed precise adjustment. The sword hugs to me as if it were part of my body, and it's not in the way, even when using my bow. Here's a pic:
[attachment=518]akinakesequipmentbelt006.JPG[/attachment]

Nothing is ever perfect. The belt furnishings are actually Mongolian, because as-of-yet nobody is making Sarmatian/Alanic fittings. Maybe someone will eventually.:-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Just doing a bit of thread necromancy to thank you for this thread and others and for the info contained in them. It is really hard to research a Sarmatian kit and your pictures have been extremely helpful. I am just starting my kit, I'll try to post pics when I can.
where did you get that beautiful akinakes?
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Quote:where did you get that beautiful akinakes?

Back to you, Quintus

Actually, it's a "medieval dagger" sold through an outfit called Museum Replicas. At least, I'm hoping it's still being sold. I had the holster made that it then slips into. So, its really a two-piece affair. Amazingly, it conforms to a plethora of ancient illustrations of the akinakes. It can also be attached to a belt by a single strap, plus it can be equipped with a second (higher) strap around the upper leg. A very versatile "quick-throw dagger" or "table knife" all in one. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:]

Nothing is ever perfect. The belt furnishings are actually Mongolian, because as-of-yet nobody is making Sarmatian/Alanic fittings. Maybe someone will eventually.:-)

Hi Alanus, I love the belt.
Do you have pictures of Sarmatian/Alanic fittings?
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be">www.legioxi.be
Hello, Sutoris

Simonenko shows a slightly more complicated akinakes attachment on p. 63. Note that the dagger is supposedly worn on a separate belt, yet it follows my version very closely. Buckles were plain or attached to a tang, also similar to the Mongol version I used. The major difference would be, I think, an animal style on Sarmatian belt hardware and a floral style on the Mongolian.

I also notice that Simonenko shows the sword attachment passing through the scabbard slide in a crisscrossed fashion, just as I attached my Alanic sword to the belt. So, I don't think we are too far off when using what is available. The belt hardware came from Raymond's Quiet Press, and I notice that he's still in business.

The green stones you see on the belt were attached by me. Raymond's buckle has a perfect hollow for their attachment. (I used epoxy, a cheat.) The stones are aventurite, but turquoise or jade would be perfect. As a note: Late Type 1 Sarmatian swords had jade grip checks and scabbard slides, a little expensive to reproduce these days. Early Type I swords had bronze furnishings, so I was lucky since portraying a 1st century AD Roxolanus and used brass, again close to original.

:-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Simonenko shows a slightly more complicated akinakes attachment on p. 63.
:-)

I'm new in this Sarmatian world so where can I find this Simonenko :wink:
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Would this belt buckle be ok?

[attachment=6380]sarmatischbrons2C-kopie.jpg[/attachment]

TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Oh! A very nice buckle. The open-work looks like a tamga, very appropriate. :woot:

Simonenko was recently discussed on another thread, Update on Sarmatian Weapons. Someone gave a link to his book, which was published just a few years ago. It's very helpful and accurate. Alecksandr Simonenko is a Ukranian archaeologist who has studied Sarmatian/Alanic weapons for years.

The akinakes pictured above has a leather holster with 4 "ears," but mamy originals were made from wood.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Oh! A very nice buckle. The open-work looks like a tamga, very appropriate. :woot:

I'm going to make me one, I remember you said to use bronze instead of brass.

Quote:The akinakes pictured above has a leather holster with 4 "ears," but mamy originals were made from wood.

I'm not sure but I think this akinakes had leather on one side, would that be the tip of the blade sticking out :?

[attachment=6486]sibir_74-kopie2.jpg[/attachment]

Next question:
I've seen some different handle ends, ring shape, double curl, and the one you have Alanus.
Which one is accurat for 1C AD?

TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Sutoris,

By the 1st century AD, the splayed or crescent pommel (like on my akinakes) was "old hat." Most post AD akinakae had the ring pommel. Yup, it looks like the tip of the blade shows through in your photo, but likely because the leather sheath-end has broken off or disintegrated.

That belt buckle you're going to make looks much like a couple of examples I saw when visiting the Archaeological Museum in Odessa, Ukraine. A lot of great Alanic stuff there, also some Celtic stuff (maybe from the Galatians). I'm fairly certain, the open-work on that buckle is a chieftain's tamga.
If your going to make one, please make another one for me! :grin: :woot:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Sutoris,

By the 1st century AD, the splayed or crescent pommel (like on my akinakes) was "old hat." Most post AD akinakae had the ring pommel.
Yup, it looks like the tip of the blade shows through in your photo, but likely because the leather sheath-end has broken off or disintegrated.

That was my point, wooden front with leather backing.
So I make one with the ring pommel.

Quote:If your going to make one, please make another one for me! :grin: :woot:

I'll keep that in mind :wink: :wink:
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Yup, the ring pommel would be best for 1st century AD. Confusedmile:

Here's a photo of my (non-accurate) buckle. The added stone is OK, but the buckle is late steppe. However, it gives the general "non-Roman" appearance. ;-)

[attachment=6497]akinakesequipmentbelt006.JPG[/attachment]
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Yup, the ring pommel would be most accurate for 1st century AD and onward.

Here's a photo of my "slightly later" belt buckle. I think it's too small, and I added the stone because it looked like it needed it. :whistle:

[attachment=6499]akinakesequipmentbelt006.JPG[/attachment]
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Sutoris,

The ring pommel akinakes is not only best for AD 1st century, but it was used extensively into contiginous centuries and by the Persians and Saracens.

Good luck on making the sheath and buckle. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)