Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Equipment Belt & Attachments
Hello, Sutoris

Simonenko shows a slightly more complicated akinakes attachment on p. 63. Note that the dagger is supposedly worn on a separate belt, yet it follows my version very closely. Buckles were plain or attached to a tang, also similar to the Mongol version I used. The major difference would be, I think, an animal style on Sarmatian belt hardware and a floral style on the Mongolian.

I also notice that Simonenko shows the sword attachment passing through the scabbard slide in a crisscrossed fashion, just as I attached my Alanic sword to the belt. So, I don't think we are too far off when using what is available. The belt hardware came from Raymond's Quiet Press, and I notice that he's still in business.

The green stones you see on the belt were attached by me. Raymond's buckle has a perfect hollow for their attachment. (I used epoxy, a cheat.) The stones are aventurite, but turquoise or jade would be perfect. As a note: Late Type 1 Sarmatian swords had jade grip checks and scabbard slides, a little expensive to reproduce these days. Early Type I swords had bronze furnishings, so I was lucky since portraying a 1st century AD Roxolanus and used brass, again close to original.

:-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatian Equipment Belt & Attachments - by Alanus - 02-06-2013, 11:56 PM