Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Website with Illustrations of Roman Soldiers
Salvete!

Graham Sumner is probably too modest but I just stumbled over his website:

link

and it contains MANY sample illustrations (including some that were new to me, although I take care to order anything Roman he illustrates) which you can view and also order as prints.

I though this may also be of interest to other RATers
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks for posting that Jens!

You may also be interested that my exhibition of original paintings will be near to you in Augsburg Museum from May 28th

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
looks very good fine work Graham.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:Thanks for posting that Jens!

You may also be interested that my exhibition of original paintings will be near to you in Augsburg Museum from May 28th

Graham.
Can you tell me in which publication or book the plates found on the following pages can be found?
http://gsillustrator.co.uk/work.php?type=1
Andrei Sandu
Ok, semi-related question...Graham, that fort that is pictured on your home page...what size unit would have been garrisoned there, and what did you base it off of?

Legion: TBD
Hi Matt

Ok, semi-related question...Graham, that fort that is pictured on your home page...what size unit would have been garrisoned there, and what did you base it off of?

The illustration shows Castleshaw fort-let which replaced a standard size Auxiliary fort, the remains of which can be seen in the painting. There was a single barrack block within the fort-let but which only had rooms for six contuburnia. What is interesting is that the Granary building is far larger than what is required for a unit that size, so the suggestion is, is that the site may have had something to do with collecting supplies from the local district. The painting was produced for the Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit and was based on data supplied by them. The painting along with a series of others will be on new interpretation panels at the site, which is a few miles outside Manchester on what was the main Roman route from Chester to York.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Can you tell me in which publication or book the plates found on the following pages can be found?
gsillustrator.co.uk/work.php?type=1

Hi Andrei

Yes, they are from either Ross Cowan's book 'For the Glory of Rome' or his book 'Italy' in the Roman Conquest Series

The lower illustrations are from the 'Africa' book by Nic Fields in the same series. Links to all the books can be found on my Links page.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

WOW! GREAT images, Graham. My congratulations!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Very cool, and thanks for the information Graham!

Legion: TBD
Hi

New images added!

I hope you enjoy them.

RAT readers might also be interested in the following publication which will also include some of my illustrations.

Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the Soldier in Roman Times
edited by Marie-Louise Nosch and Henriette Koefoed

Wearing the Cloak contains nine stimulating chapters on Roman military textiles and equipment that take textile research to a new level. Hear the sounds of the Roman soldiers' clacking belts and get a view on their purchase orders with Egyptian weavers. Could armour be built of linen? Who had access to what kinds of prestigious equipment? And what garments and weapons were deposited in bogs at the edge of the Roman Empire? The authors draw upon multiple sources such as original textual and scriptural evidence, ancient works of art and iconography and archaeological records and finds. The chapters cover - as did the Roman army - a large geographical span: Egypt, the Levant, the Etruscan heartland and Northern Europe. Status, prestige and access are viewed in the light of financial and social capacities and help shed new light on the material realities of a soldier's life in the Roman world. 144p, 24 col & 34 b/w illus (Oxbow Books in association with the Centre for Textile Research, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-1-84217-437-1
ISBN-10: 1-84217-437-1Hardback. Not yet published - advance orders taken. Publishers price GB £25.00, Oxbow Price GB £18.95

Table of Contents
1. Dressed for the occasion: Clothes and context in the Roman Army (Michael Alexander Speidel)
2. Purchase orders of military garments from papyri of Roman Egypt (Kerstin Droß-Krüpe)
3. Clothing supply for the military: a look at the inscriptional evidence (Jinyu Liu)
4. The Roman Military Belt (Stefanie Hoss)
5. Linen-clad Etruscan Warriors (Margarita Gleba)
6. Military textiles in weft and warp twining: fragments probably of pteryges from Masada, Israel, a greave from Dura-Europos, Syria, and several slings (Hero Granger-Taylor)
7. A Late Roman Painting of an Egyptian Officer and the Layers of its Perception: On the Relation between Images and Textile Finds (Annette Paetz gen. Schieck)
8. Warrior Costumes in Iron Age Weapon Deposits (Susan Möller-Wiering)
9. Painting a Reconstruction of the Deir el-Medineh Portrait on a painted Shroud and other Soldiers from Roman Egypt (Graham Sumner)

Graham.

Another addition to my ever expanding library I fear :roll: :wink:

So Graham may I enquire as to when Arms & Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier Volumes 2&3 are due to see the light of day? (apologies if this has been raised and a

Very much looking forward to reading them both!
Marc Byrne
Hello Marc

Part 3, which will be volume 2, is nearing completion.

Graham.

Quote:Hello Marc

Part 3, which will be volume 2, is nearing completion.

Graham.

Ah, very interesting news Big Grin Looking forward to some more interesting arguments Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Great job, Graham.

We anxiously expect at the new volumes of Arms and Armour
Great site Graham, but I especially like this photo :

[Image: prints.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.