Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Junkelmann Book
I hear everyone recommend the Junkelman book. Is there an English translation available, or do I just have to be content with looking at the pretty pictures and guess at the text with my rudimentary German?
None of Junkelmann's Philipp von Zabern Verlag books have been translated into English. There have been rumours of a translation for more than a decade (since the first edition of "Das Spiel mit dem Tod" was published) but nothing has ever come of it.
Hello, my name is Harry.
Well, that blows.
Hi Harry
Four copies of a translation do exist, but as simple spiral bound text, no images. One copy is in Germany, one in New York, one in (I think) Arizona and the last is with me in Georgia. I think I still have the translation on an old 3.5" computer disk (I did the translation), if I can find it I'll be happy to see if FedEx-Kinko's can still run off a copy. Let me know.
Well, as you're talking about a 3.5" disk, I suppose that contains a translation of the first edition. For people interested in the book, I think it's good to know that Junkelmann has rewritten a good deal of the book for the second edition.

But anyway, a translation is good, as it makes a good source available to more people Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Unfortunately there is still no official translation available of the Junkelmann book. A friend of mine who works as a translater tried to get the job to translate it but the project was put down. Although in the meantime Junkelmann bought the rights of the photos and the text back from the publisher Philip von Zabern.

The second edition of 2008 is not rewritten but a chapter with the latest news is added and when reading the main part there is a reference to this additional chapter to the pages which deal with the same topic.

I did a review for Ancient Warfare which was published in Vol. II, Issue 3, Page 47. Here you could read it:

http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu/awii3_p47.pdf
Quote:Four copies of a translation do exist, but as simple spiral bound text, no images. One copy is in Germany, one in New York, one in (I think) Arizona and the last is with me in Georgia. I think I still have the translation on an old 3.5" computer disk (I did the translation), if I can find it I'll be happy to see if FedEx-Kinko's can still run off a copy. Let me know.

All the rights to the text, and any translation, are owned by Junkelmann himself.

Alle rechte, insbesondere das der Uebersetzung in fremde sprachen, vorbehalten.

You can't just distribute your own translation.
Hello, my name is Harry.
The only solution is:

a) The source material

b) Dictionary

c) Primer/grammar

d) Cold, wet towel round the head.

e) Battle of single malt

What with this and Appian to translate, the report from Krefeld-Gellep and von den Driesch (animal bones) I may resurface in the winter months again...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!