Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some practical approaches on spear fighting.
It a very debated subject here so let me present you some research of "KORYVANTES" and Arma Hellas on the subject. Nore topics on the issue to be examined, Please stay tuned but updates will take time,
(english subtitles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...ZVs97QKH-8

The swords are used to demonstrate a point and not for historical accuracy.
Thank for watching.

Kind regards
Very interesting concept. As an aside, how much training is required to develop accuracy with either method of stab? Is one method, by nature of the mechanics of it, more accurate?
Please first let me make some clarifications which did not do on the begining and probably gave you wrong impressions.

This a project of ARMA HELLAS and along with equipment and advice provided by the KORYVANTES.

Renos Tampakakis is a professional martial artist with more than 5 years experience with pole arms and spears..

I work with the hypothesis that this skill would have been possessed by the elite "logadae" of the city states or the Spartan Homioi but Renos believes that this is a skill that was common to rank and file hoplites..

I believe and so does ARMA HELLAS that more research must be done in order to draw conclusions on every question regarding spear fighting in tight formations.

Kind regards

kind regards
Nice video! Thanks!

So, never under arm, when in oplitic formation?
I personally believe that there might be case where underarm might be necessary. (subject of further testing)

Please see a comment by my friend Renos on the subject

<<Hi there
this video is not meant to prove a standard way of use of the spear in phalanx formation, neither to present an argument on 'the overhand vs the underhand gripping of the spear'. It is a thesis based a) on the need of a hoplite to defend himself when his shield is locked and cant offer him flexible covering, b) on the angles and the geometry of strikes when a phalanx has to face another in the first phase of close approaching, c) on body mechanics, d) on simple, universal rules of self defense that teach us not just receiving and parrying attacks with a weapon but simultaneously counter-attacking when it's possible.
The whole project presented in this video is to 'suggest' a more technical approach of using a spear in tight phalanx formation, emphasizing on its counter-attacking ability when used with the standard overhand grip.....a use that is not working with other types of gripping.
As ARMA Hellas, we experiment trying to expose the real needs in the ways of offense and defense when someone has to deal with restrictions in space, place and motion in specific phases of combat.
For the friend that is asking the following <<Very interesting concept. As an aside, how much training is required to develop accuracy with either method of stab? Is one method, by nature of the mechanics of it, more accurate?>>...
I can only say this: a) test thrusting with the spear against static targets with any kind of gripping to draw conclusions on the force of strikes b) test thrusting with the spear against moving targets with any kind of gripping to train in accuracy c) test counter-attacking with the spear with any kind of gripping against a trained companion equal in skill to test the mechanics of each type of gripping d) test using the hoplon and spear when your shield is locked by these of your companions on you left and your right, when you also have to face at least 2 opponents thrusting with spears against your upper openings.
We did nothing more than experimenting with the above and we came to the conclusionσ as presented on the video. We suggest that anyone who is interested on the same subject to try it too and give us their feedback. Even if someone is not specialized in martial arts systems, you could develop such skill ...well, with hard work of course. The time of training depends on a) talent b) previous experience of training in similar styles (shield and spear)...and it's different for every man.>>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  specifics in Spear fighting combat Alexander Polemos 160 48,861 04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias