Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New late Roman Coptic cloak pictures
Hi All,

Thought i'd post this here, I'm quite excited about this new cloak I have made for Marc Byrne from Britannia. The couched and stemmed decoration is taken from a late 4th Century coptic Orbiculi fragment in the Brooklyn museum of Art. This item is the joint work of myself and my friend Josie Barton who is a tapestry weaver and needlework professional of 40yrs. The fringing is hand knotted in spacing based upon detailing displayed in the Neues Museum, Berlin.

I will have a couple more cloaks with different decorative designs at Chester. I never do two of the same type to reflect what we already know about the highly indiidualised nature of Coptic textiles.

[attachment=897]IMGP1927.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=898]IMGP1925.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=899]IMGP1928.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Greetings Claire,

Yet another beautiful piece to add to your expanding portfolio. I find the late Roman Coptic designs quite stunning that you and your "team" have created in the past. That kit you've made for Jurjen is really nice. I'm sure there are others.

A shame my "local" only does Principate period. It would be very lonely to do the only late Roman in Chicago area. :evil:

Best regards,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
You could possibly speak with some of the guys in Texas about what they are doing in relation to 4th-5th century impressions. I know they had a few guys dressed in the later tunics and carrying later shields from the pictures of their Fort Parker event. I think some of them had travelled quite far to get there.

David Wills and Mike Boyd would know more than me however

Cheers for the compliments Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Yes the owner is exceptionally pleased with his latest acquisition and would heartily recommend Claire for all your Late Roman soft kit needs Big Grin
Marc Byrne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to wear a roman cloak? Virilis 16 8,209 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Pictures of Coptic textiles - Comitatus museum trip 2008 Cheyenne 3 1,280 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Cheyenne
  Late Roman Lamps, pictures of. Gaius Julius Caesar 1 1,209 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Franklin