Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial lectures at WMAW 2011
A Christian Eckhert will deliver two talks about a University of Regensburg project where 20 students and several academics worked together to experiment with gladiator fighting techniques, and one fencing lesson with the system they developed. I don't know anything else about him. There will also be a demonstration by members of Hammaborg of the system they have developed for fighting with Norse swords and shields.

WMAW registration will probably be full by 17 May, but I suspect several people on these forums will be interested to know about this project. I'm not sure how much contact the project has with other groups experimenting with gladiatorial fighting.

The tenth Western Martial Arts Workshop will be held from 15-18 September 2011 in Racine, Wisconsin and is the best North American event for the study of European fighting arts practiced before WW I. Its organized by a group of teachers who focus on reconstructing the arts as practiced in their original context (rather than purely academic interest or changing them for modern situations).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.