Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caius Romanius Capito
Here he is in all his glory...

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/

I have tried to link to the previous discussions about him but the link does not work for some reason so please forgive any repetitious questions.

As this is potentially the source for my first ever impression Confusedhock: three queries if I may...

1. Is the concensus of opinion in favour of the fact that the mail shirt is short sleeved? Supplementary question: And would I get away with long sleeved (this impression may be in for some battering and hard work and I want to survive long enough to enjoy it LOL!)?

2. And the helmet he is wearing resembles this (as far as I can tell from the photographs on the top link). Sadly I haven't seen this monument in person (yet).

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,96/

3. The spatha I have in mind is the Hod Hill type (not yet decided where to buy one from!) would this be acceptable?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edited to add: The horse is sorted! I just have to match now.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:1. Is the concensus of opinion in favour of the fact that the mail shirt is short sleeved? Supplementary question: And would I get away with long sleeved (this impression may be in for some battering and hard work and I want to survive long enough to enjoy it LOL!)?

Yes. This seems to be a thombstone from the first century, which is also resembled in the kit he's using. In this time the mailshirts have a doubler and no sleeves. So, for an impression based on this one I would suggest you a mail shirt with round doubler (Armamentaria 'type 3'). No sleeves, yet. Sleeves become longer and longer from the second century onwards.

Quote:2. And the helmet he is wearing resembles this (as far as I can tell from the photographs on the top link). Sadly I haven't seen this monument in person (yet).

Well, the helmet seems to have some repousse hairwork in its bowl. Therefore a Weiler type helmets (of which the Xanten version you showed is very nice) would do a good job. There are several helmets found with this feature, al of similar design.

Quote:3. The spatha I have in mind is the Hod Hill type (not yet decided where to buy one from!) would this be acceptable?

A Hod Hill spatha would be perfect for your timeframe. However, if you intent to use it, I wouldn't go for the one Armamentaria is selling. It's nicely made, but Cesars broke on first impact.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks for your input Jurjen, I appreciate it.

Yes, I remember the comment about the spatha. The only other one I have seen that I ike is WAAAAY out of my price range and probably on a long waiting list (Barta). But I can't do cheap and cheerful with this particular bit of kit. Cry
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Well, of course is Barta at the exact other end of the price scale. You could for instance get one from Armamentaria and ask a proper smith (like Robert Wimmers or Mike Marrow to replace the blade, making use of the scabbard and handle from the available one. Should save you some money compared to Barta.)
ALA I BATAVORUM
I am sourcing a good quality late Roman spatha for another individual who posts on here, I can also source a Hod Hill type. I can have my metalworker make up one for around £450-500. He is a teacher at the National Blacksmithing college here in the UK in Hereford and is currently doing a couple of Roman spathas for some of my customers. His work is absolutely first class and he is the only person I would have make my usable examples of period weapons.

The Armementaria Spatha is nice though, if any issues with the steel used could be ironed out, they represent excellent value for money and are lovely pieces Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Thanks Claire - that's useful to know.

Do you have any photographs of a finished sword? PM me if you prefer.

Interesting question actually - are the blades essentially the same throughout the period of the spatha and just the pommels/grips and scabbards which indicate a change of date (or fashion?). A blade is a blade after all.
Moi Watson