Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new project: Build a Roman town, for real!
Musivarius: I would prefer to do without "breezeblocks" :-)

But yes, some corners will probably have to be cut. I am hoping for a community to form around this project, then the community will decide what standards of authenticity are acceptable.

It is clear that having everything 100% correct is out of the question - I don't think anyone will accept sacrificing a bull before a sitting of the Senate; so, other compromises will be made too.
www.romaiv.com - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)
Olaf, great link, thanks :-)
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)
I know this is ROMAN army talk, but reading your post made me wonder why you would want to do Romans in Australia. I should think rebuilding a colony settlement from the era of the discovery of Australia (mid and later 1700's) would stand a much greater chance of attracting funding and public support. Poeple do crave authenticity and Romans in Australia are about as un-authentic as one can get. The comfort level would be much the same as in Roman times, they even had slaves! The Romans had a very advanced society and one would find many aspects of the social structure and crafts in the 18 th century for sure. Just a thought .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
This does remind a bit of countless planned medieval "towns" or "castles" here in Germany. On paper they sound very interesting an the people behind it seem to be very enthusiastic, but when it then comes to transforming the theory into reality a great majority turn out to be nothing but hot air. Big stumbeling blocks are, suitable land for the project, funding - sponsors, and local community consels and inhabitants. On these points lots of great sounding projects have been stopped. This here is a project being built near where I live, but it has big sponsors, and it is done in a very professional way
http://www.limeskastell-pohl.de/

I wish you luck with your project, but it will be a difficult task.

Martin
Hi Martin,

yes it will be a difficult task, I don't expect anything easy or happening soon...
However, a good thing about Australia is that you can find LOTS of free space with no locals to complain or make your life difficult. There are areas the size of Germany with barely 50 000 inhabitants, and these areas are not deserts.
So, I remain hopeful...
Robert,

I want to reconstruct the spirit of the thing, not actual authenticity including "precise historical spot". Yes, it's not going to be properly authentic. But, the Romans built in environments as diverse as Scotland, Libya, Palestine, Hungary... They were adaptive. What would they have built, if they had reached Australia?

Plus, many places in Australia actually look rather European - it's not all "the Red Centre", there are green valleys, rivers, mountains etc. which look pretty much like Central Europe.

Re a Victorian project - yes, it may be more popular, but I don't feel particularly connected to the Victorians personally. Yes, Australians with British heritage would feel connected, but they also have (some) Roman heritage as well - all European societies do, so I hope they will accept a Roman project as well.
No, not the Victorian period, way too late. I am talking about the times of the exploring sea farers like the Dutch and the English, sailing the world in the pre-industrial age. They built colonies in 1750, 100 + years ahead of Victoria. These were far rougher times. And the settlements they built were creating a new frontier and had that sort of look and feel. There are quite a few paralels to the Roman endevours. It was just a thought, but you may want to look into that part of history, as these were exiting times to be sure.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert: I have to admit I am not very familiar with that period. As regards colonising Australia though, I can recommend Colleen McCullough's book "Morgan's Run" (the author of the "Masters of Rome" series, she's also written a book on the settling of Norfolk Island where she lives now). Also "Fatal Shores" by Robert Hughes, which is mostly documentary. The books describe only misery and pain, which is mainly the perception most Australian have of the beginnings of the country; I don't think many will want to repeat it :-)
Hahaha! I can well imagine. Still, they did stay put and were a monument of perseverance in that respect. So it may prove interesting.

Wish you a lot of luck and fun in launching your idea, Roman or otherwise. I have been toiling at Noviolocus for 8 years now, still haven't given up hope of ever building that themepark. But be sure you do things in the right order and prevent yourself being bog down with details like how the kitchen should look etc. Work from large to small, first the land and what that wil cost you, then designing and costing the main buildings, then finding ways of making ends meet and attracting investors, then ..... Oh well, you will find out. It is a long road.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:What would they have built, if they had reached Australia?
My opinion, and that's all it is, would be that they'd build things according to the climate and what sorts of land features there were around them. If desert, then look at Libya, if forest, then pick a forested area and match that. They build primarily from what was there. Stone, log, earth berm were pretty much dependent on the terrain and climate. The would not have shipped logs over sea, then trundled them along the roads to build a fort wall. They would have used what was at hand. If you're able to use local materials, then that's the best choice, if you ask me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
M. Demetrius: yes, local materials it's going to be. There will have to be a stone quarry nearby, and a forest for (responsible and sustainable :-)) logging.
Pavel

You are definitely a kindred spirit in suggesting building a Roman town. While I can appreciate the many difficulties to do this, and they would be great, I think it would be an amazing experience to witness and participate in.

If there's any way I can help from Atlanta, Georgia, please let me know.

John Lucas
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas, the project will be a "virtual" project for a long time to come, so the fact you are in the US doesn't matter - you are welcome to do whatever you want to help :-)

Basically, at this stage it is just a discussion. The project is still in the first of several phases:
  • Discussing what we want in general, and how to organise the project.
  • Research: how the Romans did this and that (everything needed for a town).
  • Research: potential partners (such as the several links to projects posted in this thread, as well as universities and others that may help with research).
  • Communication: with potential partners and members.
  • Discussion: what is acceptable to do and what isn't (for example, the question was raised whether plumbing will use lead pipes; answer: no, they may be authentic but they are also poisonous).
  • Plan: fix, in the form of a detailed plan, what we want.
  • Plan: step by step actions, GANTT charts and all.
  • Actions...

Of all these, only for (some of) the actions your location is of any importance. So, please feel welcome to register at the site and share your ideas at the forum there, as a start :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We want to build a Roman ship, Libourne Evgeny 26 6,205 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat