Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Falcata
Hi Guys,
I've just spotted a really nice Falcata for sale on myarmoury, it was only put on yesterday. So I thought some of you guys may be interested.
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic....004#224004
Best, Ingvar
[attachment=1052]falcata1_212.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
This is really beautiful work! Thanks for posting!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I'm the guy who ended up with this sword. Cool :twisted:

It's made by a guy named Paul Holwell, in the UK. He hasn't made a whole lot of other swords, and so is relatively new to the sword-making game, but he's got it down pretty well, I'd say.

The sword itself, other than being even more gorgeous "in the flesh", as they say, handles pretty well. It does have a definite blade-forward bias, but isn't clunky or uncontrollable at all.
The only possible criticism is, perhaps, the use of brass or bronze in the hilt. Iberian falcata hilts didn't use bronze, as far as I'm aware (the Greek kopis did though, and I think the Italian versions may have?). However, this obviously didn't bother me much -- it's absolutely beautiful. I would highly recommend Paul Holwell if you're interested in pursuing a similar project.
David Wilson

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus.
Weel done, David Big Grin ! The blade shape is especially elegant, the best I have seen so far...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Congratulations for having it! It is a really elegant sword. Though it is not true that the greek swords had bronze parts in the handle,they all are iron. One sollution would be to silver them!!! After all the iberians did silver their handles even if to my knowlege they were doing it with inlaid designs...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
That's beautiful. Here's Paul Holwell's website:

Black Dog
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Guys
I contacted Paul the very same day this was displayed on myArmoury. I asked for something that was slightly different to theone shown. Paul has been great to work with, easy to contact, willing to listen etc. Should have mine in about 2 weeks
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
2 weeks! That's soon!
Could i suggest that you ask him not to use brass on the hilt? Virtually all falkatas and kopides i have seen only have iron fittings on the guard and "pommel" or end of the hilt. Not a single one with bronze...
Same with the scabbard fittings.
Also,i remember reading that this sword was a bit heavy. If he could keep weight around 800gr!
The above sword has a really attractive shape and really well worked detailes. Can't wait to see yours!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
I did discuss not using brass on the grip plates but decided to make a compromise on this. I did, however get Paul to alter the blade to make it a bit lighter, also discussed sharpening the false edge. As this is my first commision with Paul I was reasonably happy to go with the flow to some extent.
Once I have it in hand then I will look to what can be improved.
As for the speed at which the project has proceeded, well I was first in with a deposit, so first on the work schedule.
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Should have it in hand tomorrow
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Hi Guys
here are a few pictures of my new falcata

[Image: 35i6v51.jpg]
Nice piece of horn in scabbard mouth
[Image: fyh9hw.jpg]
Grip detail
[Image: 2gsh3ki.jpg]
Another angle
pmel018
Philip melhop
The whole package, sorry its a bit dark, the scabbard is brown.
[Image: 2elv4t0.jpg]
pmel018
Philip melhop
Philip, this is simply awesome sword Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Awesome! Congratulations! Really delicate shape,and looks rather dangerous...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Congrads!!! How do you like it?
David Wilson

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus.